Winter cover question...yes another one !!!

rwb1

Jul 6, 2014
STILLWATER,NY
I have a 27ft round AGP....ordering a cover and cant decide on the proper size...maybe I am missing something. Most places advertise 4ft bigger diameter than listed size...27'=31'= 2ft on each side.... to compensate for water drop etc....

My dilemma is that my pool is 27 feet with a water drop of 15" and a top rail of 10" which to me is a minimum cover size of 31 feet ....am I wrong in this calculation ?? I figure the cover is supposed to lay on the water...go up the sides and over the top rail. SO...a 27ft cover will not work?

Should I buy a 30' + 4' overlap which my calculations say will give me 1.5 feet overhang on each side...which roughly 8" will be used to secure it under the top rail...this seems awful tight considering the snowload we had here last year in the north east.

Maybe I confused myself...not hard some days ...lol

Maybe I am thinking wrong....please guide me.

thanks for the help

Sometime's the cover is already sized bigger for whatever the pool dia is. So if you order for the dia your pool is it will have the right amount of overlap. I have seen places that for whatever the pool dia is you need to go up a size for the right overlap.
Best thing I would do is wherever you purchase it from is ask about the overlap for your size and they should be able to tell you if you have to go up to the next size or not. Just make sure you ask about the overlap. ?

I have looked at dozens of covers and most say 3-4ft overlap...when adding a 4x8 pillow, this will definitely not be enough, I am leaning toward a 30ft cover but dont want a ton of extra cover....am I missing something with my calculations?

Then go with the 30ft if your using the pillow. Again you could ask to make sure. I don't have any experience with the pillows as the cover on my pool rests on top of the water. Some people use the pillows and some don't. A lot of times they end up deflating and moving around if they are not secured with some rope to stay centered. ?

We have a 28' AG (it actually measures a few inches over 28') and have gotten the 28' size from such locations as Lowes and InTheSwim.com. Granted some are a little bigger than others and the smaller ones still work although its kind of a tight fit. We use the pillow and never had a cover that wouldnt work. I would say your fine with a 27' cover. I dont see a 27' cover size in my book. Do you mean 28'? I see a 24', 28', and 30' "pool size" cover but no 27'. Have you actually meausured the pool?

We have a 24' and use a 27' cover. We first tried a 24' cover that came with the pool, but thought it was too tight. We then ordered the bigger size and thought it worked better. I like having more than enough than not enough. We use water bags to keep it weighted down because we get a lot of strong winds. We use a pillow also. Just make sure you fill the pillow with half the air it needs. This will keep it from busting and deflating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.