28ft vs 24ft ABG pool (Bigger always better?)

kimrst

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
West Michigan
My lovely husband bought me this very cheep, and very nice complete, used 28foot Doughboy pool but after looking at our yard and considering that mostly he and I are the only users I would like to try and find a smaller 24foot pool. I belive I can trade this big pool to my digger/backhoe guy for the work he will give us digging up our back yard and helping us level everything.

One thing I'm considering is $$, as in how much more does it take to keep up a 28 pool vs a 24ft. I know there must be considerable chemical and eletricical useage. Our swim time is short in Michigan. Not to mention most of the yard being taken up by the mamoth 28 footer. I think this is one time where bigger isn't nessesarily better. (Even if Our 18foot intex is too small, and a pain to take down and set up each year.) Your thoughts please group? Can you help me decide? Kimrst

The difference water-wise is about 5,000 gallons (24 = 13500, 28=18400); The only factor I checked using the pool calculator was chlorine, and you'll need ten more ounces of 6% per PPM for the larger pool, so there will be a $$ increase, I just don't know how much. Speaking from experience, a 24 footer is plenty big for just two folks, and from trying to read between the lines, it doesn't sound as if you're too thrilled about losing all of the yard to a pool.. :) If you're not planning on hosting a bunch of pool parties, I'd go with the 24 footer, and tell hubby that the 24 footer will leave enough room for a deck in the future.. :goodjob:

Well, I have a 30', and while it's nice and roomy for the kids and all thier friends, the bigger you go, the harder it is to deal with. My biggest problem was finding a solar reel that would work for a 30' round. Most aren't made for something that big. I was about to go the route of building my own when I found some hooks that hold the cover off the ground. The cover is still huge and requires some manipulating. Same problem with the winter cover.

When I was a kid, we had a 24' round and that pool was really easy to manage. If I did it over I would have gone a little smaller.

Bob

The cover and yard use are the only real drawbacks of a big pool. If I could have gone bigger than did, I would have. Our swimtime is short too, but the room in the pool makes it everything its supposed to be and - pools are meant to be shared, really. We have so much fun when we invite friends or family over. We hosted a family reunion, our son's graduation and two more parties this year that resulted in the pool being the centerpiece of the excitement. We live 20 miles from the nearest decent town and people are happy to come on out for a visit and swim, barbeque and enjoy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.