Bad gate valves on returns, need advice

May 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I have a gate valve on my spa return that has begun to disintegrate. I'm pretty sure this is the culprit for letting air into my system. I've replaced the pump lid o-ring and lid itself (which was cracked), but continue to get air into the filter and constantly have to bleed it off. I also noticed that when I turn the pump off the spa gate valve leaks water where the shaft enters the nut.

Clearly it needs to be replaced, and I'd really like to do one of the jandy 3 way valve, but I'm not sure if that's even possible. The pool return gate valve appears to be cemented in, while the spa valve is not. By the way the standing water is from me hosing the mud and dirt off the valves after I dug them out.

pool-valves-00.jpg

I think my options are:

1. Try and repair the spa gate valve, although I'm having trouble getting it apart. Can't break the large nut free as it's hard to get leverage on it down in that hole.
  2. Replace the spa gate valve with a new one by cutting it out
  3. Put in a jandy 3 way and somehow plug or leave open the cemented in pool gate valve

pool-valves-01.jpg

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!

Can you trace the lines to where they come out of the ground at the equipment pad? If possible it would be better to have the valves above ground so they don't fill with dirt and gunk over time. You could cut out the valves and replace them with pvc and have the valves at the equipment pad.

That would be great to have the valve at the equipment pad. Pulling off that metal plate each time I want to turn the spa on is a pain. My equipment pad is concrete and a single return pipe comes right out of it, so to put the valve there I assume both return lines would have to be extended there and the concrete broken up to accommodate them (or addition of one). Unfortunately I have a wood enclosure with lattice work around the perimeter of the pad, and grass right up to it, so don't think I could have the return lines come up outside of the pad.

Unfortunately the problem is worse than I initially thought. This morning I was expecting the pool of water to be drained off and gone, but it's still there. The dirt has settled and the water is now clear and I noticed small debris moving around where the large pool gate valve is cemented in. I dropped some food coloring into the water and clearly saw a stream of water coming out from around the gate valve and the surrounding cement, and in another spot near the T-coupling. It also looks like this valving is actually below the bottom of the pool skimmer which sits 2-3' away.

I think it's pretty clear that this whole valving setup needs to be repaired if not replaced altogether. I think it's a job that's beyond my skill level considering it's below the pool skimmer and embedded in concrete. I have no idea how that would be repaired/replaced.

I'm also not sure why the valve would be cemented in. Would the original pool builders cement in the pool gate valve and the pipe that runs to the skimmer?

I'm not sure why the pool was plumbed that way. I can't say I've seen another one like it posted on TFP. Do you know how old the pool is and who built it? Is it possible this was a dyi job by a previous owner. It would be best to have those lines re-plumbed and maybe your equipment pad re-plumbed as well. Can you post a picture of the pad? If this is something you don't feel comfortable doing yourself then you should contact some pool repair/remodel companies and get some bids for the job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.