First time winterizing my IG pool.

lrkey

Jul 27, 2014
Ponca City, OK
Need lots of help. I have read over the closing instructions on here. But, I still have questions.

1) Where should my drain be located (I see 2 round white items in the deep end of my pool, but nothing else in my pool resembling anything close to that). Could these be the drains? if so, how do I blow them out?

2) Would adding anti-freeze work in lieu of blowing out the lines?

3) If I need a shop vac, what size would I need to get the job done?

4) There is still some small algae remaining, but I don't know if the weather will permit me time to get it cleaned up before I close. I need to close tomorrow as we are expecting temps to drop below freezing (20's ) for the next 10 days with some possibility for snow. Would there be huge implications if I let it the way it is and just get it closed?

5) Not sure how far below the skimmer to lower the water. Can someone help me with that? (My pool stats are both Sig line below).

I truly appreciate any assistance any of you can provide.

Thanks

1) Where should my drain be located (I see 2 round white items in the deep end of my pool, but nothing else in my pool resembling anything close to that). Could these be the drains? if so, how do I blow them out? Those are in fact your main drains, they are plumbed together and either have a line going back to the equipment pad or a line going to the bottom of your skimmer. If going to pad, you will blow it from that end, but a shop vac will rarely blow this clear of water. If to the skimmer, there will be two open holes in bottom of skimmer, one could have a temporary plastic guard over it, that is what you use to ensure good suction when vacuuming, you will need to get a 4' length of foam rope and shove it in the hole going to the main drains. You then plug it with a plug.

2) Would adding anti-freeze work in lieu of blowing out the lines?Nope, wont work, you need to blow the lines free of all water, til the returns or skimmers are showing mist, you then add antifreeze as an insurance policy.

3) If I need a shop vac, what size would I need to get the job done? If you don't have one now and are going to buy one just for pool, cancel it and order up a Cyclone Liner Blower, its what professionals use to close pools, it moves way more air then any shop vac can. If you have a shop vac, you should be minimum 4HP.

4) There is still some small algae remaining, but I don't know if the weather will permit me time to get it cleaned up before I close. I need to close tomorrow as we are expecting temps to drop below freezing (20's ) for the next 10 days with some possibility for snow. Would there be huge implications if I let it the way it is and just get it closed? Not at all, you are just going to have possibly more work come spring

5) Not sure how far below the skimmer to lower the water. Can someone help me with that? Its easier to lower water below the returns, that way you know you have removed all water and can you standard plugs, if not you should use duck plugs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.