How long can you stay in the gunite phase?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

We are in the process of building both an inground gunite pool and kitchen. The kitchen [22' x 32'] is moving along now [full stone, fireplace, gas grill, sink, benches, HDTV, 22 LED lights, etc] but has held up the pool guys.

The pool coping and tile around the perimeter, 4 columns/scuppers/etc and are all done, but it is still in the gunite phase w 4-5 holes in it and 1 hole in the spa too. electric just finished. We have had rains and the pool has nasty brown water, scum, dirt, plastic bottles, etc in it for about 10 weeks now. Should get to the decking in about 2 wks, then the pebbletech.

Is there any problem w the gunite bring in this state for 3 months? It has been as hot as 98 in Aug to 49 in Nov...just want to know if there is anything thing I need to make sure they do or not do? Never been through building a pool before so I am asking for peoples experience.

Also, when the tile/coping guys did their work, they used the steps in the pool for saw horses and cut lines in the benches..nothning more than 1/4 - 1/2", but should that be a concern?

Thank you very much for your help,
tstex

Well, if anyone tells you its a problem, let me know :). We are in the same boat - for almost the same reasons except I wouldn't say my outdoor kitchen is rocking along. And the temps have been similar - up to 104 degrees and down to the 30's now at night in November.

Do you have pics of your shell? You can look at our thread to see if its similar looking or not

-Karen

Thanks Jason...That is what I and Ranger probably both wanted to hear...

To anyone reading this post and is considering building a pool, LISTEN UP. When you select your pool builder, make sure you check all of their references and they DO what they SAY they are GOING TO DO! And most importantly, make sure if you take a reference re a PB from someone you trust, MAKE SURE you use the same point person that your referral used to deal with throughout the process. It WILL MAKE a big difference.

Were you the one building the pool in Amelia Isle, FL? If so, the main thing to worry about in FL, at least inland FL anyway, is the high water table, coupled with the soft soil. Gunite pools left empty w/o weep holes drilled into them for the groundwater to flow in face a very real probability of floating. If your pool builder has taken this precaution, then you have nothing to worry about. As for the incidental cuts in the gunite, that is nothing to worry about. The plaster will smooth that out without problems.

EDIT: I think I had confused you for another pool build by a user with a similar name, but everything I posted is still relevant. Just read elsewhere that you are in TX.

Thanks m-monster...no, not in FL...our PB did make holes in pool & spa

We are not doing plaster per se, we are going pebble-tech. Does anyone have a pebble-tech color that they either really like or one that they thought they would like and would change if they could. For sure, I am going to get the color of pebble tech we select in writing or e-mail from my PB...I do eveything in writing that was not written into the design up front.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.