Freeze Protection - Water Features?

I am wondering if just having the valves open is good enough despite not having enough flow to actually push anything through. In other words, if some water in one of the water feature pipes did in fact decide to freeze up, as long as the valve is open, would I need to worry about it as long as the pump is running?

Its solid freezing that is the issue zethacat. I doubt you get that, but whats the harm in knowing you are safe.Water is ok as long as it has a direction to grow. Like an open bottle in your freezer, leave top off, no issues, put top on...RUH ROH :) Hey, wooden boats get left in water here that freezes to 3 feet. They just run a lil fan in the water to keep it circulating to lessen the solid freeze and damaging the boats. (aerates the ice) I guess

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The other thing to think of is if the pipes and features are buried. If so it takes a number of days below freezing for the ground to lose it's heat and freeze. If you have pipes exposed that's something to worry about.

A portion of the plumbing must be above ground, inevitably, and I generally leave the water features section closed off. So some of that is above ground. I am still unsure if there is a risk or if I should open all valves just in case. I would just hate for my PH to rise any quicker than it does now. As it stands I'm handling too much acid on a weekly basis.

Which piping are you talking about that is above ground?

If the piping is above ground near the equipment pad, an alternative is to tarp the equipment and plumbing and use a light bulb to provide just enough heat to prevent freezing.

If the piping you are talking about is inside the waterfall, you should be able to drain that part (with pump off) before closing off the valve.

If the above ground piping is allowed to drain and gravity and natural siphoning will take most of the water back to the pool the remaining water in the pipe shouldn't be enough to cause a problem even if you did go below freezing for a few days. The problem is if the above ground pipes are badly leveled and slant so much that somewhere above ground the pipe is full of water that can be a problem if it freezes solid. Then it should be blown out to be safe. If the runs are pretty level then you'd be good just allowing then to self drain by opening up the valves and maybe the pump basket too.

The pipes underground you shouldn't have any problem with as the natural heat in the ground protects them from the short lived freezing temps in your area. The ground would never get cold enough (from what you say) to freeze down to the water in the pipes. As long as they are surrounded by dirt and not just in a pit with a cover.

Sometimes it's hard to believe I live in Texas.

Capture_zpsb46aec39.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.