Strainer Cover Gasket swelling in Hayward Superpump

Bosqueboy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Amherst, VA
Should it be necessary to replace the Strainer Cover gasket on my Hayward Superpump on an annual basis?

Each year a new gasket seems to last for a couple of months and then when I take the cover off to clean the strainer, the gasket jumps out of the groove. Then I have difficulty getting it reseated in the groove and the lid closed as the gasket seems to have increased in length.

I am using Aladdin teflon based lubricant/sealant called "Magic Lube" on the gasket. This is the stuff that my local pool folks use. Could this be causing the gasket to swell? Am I tightening the strainer cover retainer knobs too tight? These are the only two things that I could think of that might cause the length of the gasket to increase.

When I had a superpump, I never put lube on the cover rubber ring. I never had any trouble with it. It came off sometimes but I would just put it back on and crank down in the locking knobs. If it leaks air you can see it thru the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.