Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strainer Cover Gasket swelling in Hayward Superpump

1. Back To Top    #1

Strainer Cover Gasket swelling in Hayward Superpump

Should it be necessary to replace the Strainer Cover gasket on my Hayward Superpump on an annual basis?

Each year a new gasket seems to last for a couple of months and then when I take the cover off to clean the strainer, the gasket jumps out of the groove. Then I have difficulty getting it reseated in the groove and the lid closed as the gasket seems to have increased in length.

I am using Aladdin teflon based lubricant/sealant called "Magic Lube" on the gasket. This is the stuff that my local pool folks use. Could this be causing the gasket to swell? Am I tightening the strainer cover retainer knobs too tight? These are the only two things that I could think of that might cause the length of the gasket to increase.
    Bosqueboy in Virginia

In-ground 20,000 gal vinyl Grecian, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 cartridge filter, Hayward 3/4 HP Superpump, AquaRite salt water chlorine generator, Heat Siphon C575HP heat pump and Blue Diamond robotic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Strainer Cover Gasket swelling in Hayward Superpump

When I had a superpump, I never put lube on the cover rubber ring. I never had any trouble with it. It came off sometimes but I would just put it back on and crank down in the locking knobs. If it leaks air you can see it thru the cover.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump