Grout repair/replacement help?

Sep 11, 2011
Denton, Texas
Our pool is 8 years old, and we have some areas of grout in the spa dam wall (around the tiles) that is worn and flaking out. How do we fix this? Can you simply do an acid wash and then replace the damaged grout? Or, do you have to first remove all of the old grout, then replace with new grout? Will new grout adhere to the existing grout? For how long?

It is not real bad, but needs attention before winter. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Assuming the new grout can be put in thick enough (should be about an 1/8 of an inch or more) it will bond to the old grout......for a VERY long time

The acid wash makes perfect sense to me, increasing the bond between old and new.

Less than 1/8 of an inch might or might not hold up for long but it is worth a try.

It's like have a cavity in your tooth. A dentist has to remove the decay before he can fix it. Same with grout. Pick out the stuff that is lose and get to the good stuff. Then fill in with your new grout.

I've done patch jobs in various spots in my pool and never did an acid wash and all has been good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.