Cost of chemicals for SWG pool in SW Florida

Jun 6, 2014
Fort Myers
As a new pool owner, I am trying to determine how much money I could save by treating my salt water pool myself. My pool guy comes once a week and charges $55 per month which I think is very reasonable. He also offers pool expertise as a former pool builder whenever issues come up with anything to do with the pool. With my budget getting tighter I am trying to decide if I should try and do this myself next year and what the net savings would be. The pool is open year round and I use a solar cover in the winter to help the pool heater keep the pool warm.

Tim

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A SWG is generally not about saving money, it is about convenience. Over the long run, maintaining your own pool with bleach or with a SWG generally has the costs be very similar, you just pay more upfront for the SWG.

You should be able to maintain the chemistry for less than $55/mo using bleach. Every pool is different, so providing you a specific cost breakdown is impossible.

I spend < $20 / month in the summer on acid. That is all, not counting maybe $10-15 / year on salt and maybe a little CYA in the spring.

With your rain, you will need to add CYA more often.

For chlorine, lets say you average 2.5ppm of FC per day, that would be about 1/2 jug 8.25% bleach per day. So 15 bottles per month @ $3 is $45/mo. You may be able to find stronger chlorine in bulk for cheaper.

Your chemical guy is pretty cheap, they are even cheaper here (~$40/mo), but I was NEVER happy with the quality of water I had when the pool company was trying to maintain it. Water would turn cloudy/green, then we could not use it, no refunds for loss of use. I am much happier maintaining it myself.

I am of the opinion that SWG will in fact save money. Based on lugging chlorine and just how much one goes through in chlorine monthly.

I am a seasonal pool, but I use $35 on salt at start up (5 Bags), within a week my water is warm enough for SWG to work. I then add about $13 worth of baking soda to get TA in line (60). I use about $25 Muriatic Acid and I use 3 gallons chlorine in spring and 3 in fall ($6.99) a jug. That's under $114 for about 6 months.

The $55 a month for a weekly visit is highway robbery (on your part lol) . Just what does he do for that?

Hello,
I'm in Lakeland, FL with a year round uncovered/unscreened pool. Monthly total for my pool is approx $10-15 dollars a month if I average it out.

Chemical cost year approx:
Acid 8 gallons acid $6/gal = $48
Chlorine 2.5 gal tote = $15
Salt to top off = $20
Boric acid top off = $20
Total = $103 / 12 = 8.60 month.

Those are ball park figures. That's not taking into account refill for chemicals. Maybe another $30 for the year or so.

These are the ongoing cost. Not counting the initial cost of the SWCG/Salt/Borates/Test Kit

I have a similar SWG pool open year round (but only swim May-September or so). I use about:

4 bags of salt/year at $5 each = $20
I'd say 16 gallons of Muriatic Acid/yr (lots of PH drift) at $6 gallon = $96
1 bottle CYA/yr maybe = $15
Misc. pool testing chemicals = $40/yr

Total $171/yr divided by 12 months = $14.25 a month.

I had to add 2 bags of salt this summer to replace what got diluted due to rain and whatnot.
I still have 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid that I bought in April. The gallon was 7.00
Ive prolly spent about 10 dollars in Stabilizer.
Baking Soda that I still have most of. 12.00

Since April, Ive spent about 38 dollars on stuff I put in the water.

Thanks for all of the responses, that is exactly what I was looking for. The good news in my situation is the pool is in good shape now, so as I start treating it I just have to maintain rather that fix a major issue. I forgot to mention it is a screened pool which helps cut maintenance activity also.

@Pooladdict- it is not $55 a week, it is $55 a month but he comes weekly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello,
I'm in Lakeland, FL with a year round uncovered/unscreened pool. Monthly total for my pool is approx $10-15 dollars a month if I average it out.

Chemical cost year approx:
Acid 8 gallons acid $6/gal = $48
Chlorine 2.5 gal tote = $15
Salt to top off = $20
Boric acid top off = $20
Total = $103 / 12 = 8.60 month.

Those are ball park figures. That's not taking into account refill for chemicals. Maybe another $30 for the year or so.

These are the ongoing cost. Not counting the initial cost of the SWCG/Salt/Borates/Test Kit

2.5 gallon of 10‰ chlorine @ Leslie's in Orlando is $4.5. I was there last weekend and they were also running bogo 50‰ off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.