Homeowner Replacing Skimmer Box / Massive Water Lost - Question

Nov 6, 2014
Venice, FL
Hello,

Long story short, we've had air bubbles in our lines for awhile now so after replacing the o ring on the pool pump which did not solve the problem, we dug up the backyard. We saw the original skimmer box has plumbers putty on it preventing the use of a barracuda so we dug underneath to see if the pipe was leaking. It was, and the skimmer box is shot along with some of the pipe underneath the patio deck. Both are going to be replaced. We have to wait for the hole to dry out, wall it up with plywood to prevent cave in, rent a concrete saw, cut it out and buy a new Hayward skimmer box, install the skimmer and new pipe.

Question: We drained the pool water line to be even with the bottom of the skimmer box and let evaporation do the rest. When we woke up this morning, the pool water line was 5.5 inches below the skimmer box and I have no idea what happened. I took a couple of pictures and posted to view. Any thoughts on where all the additional water went? Do we have another leak somewhere?

The pool has a floor drain that we have no idea if it works or not (skimmer has two holes, pump and main floor drain I assume). We've never seen the main drain work (has no suction, not sure if its suppose to??)

The pool is about 15-18 years old (concrete). The home was foreclosed on twice by previous owners and we've brought the pool back to life. Its been working fair for the last 4 years with the bubbles (now determined to be leak).

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 42
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 43
pic3-1.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

Edited for pictures-
Smykowski

So it could be leaking at the interface of any of those jets that are right at the water line. Try filling the pool an inch or so and putting some food coloring by each and see if it gets sucked into the wall anywhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.