Maintenance?

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
I bought a foreclosure and the pool was built in 2006. Knowing very little about the history of the pool I am having my filter deep cleaned and sand replaced in a few weeks. I know you don't need the sand replaced but they are offering a special and it comes with sand replacement.

I also am also having the spider gasket replaced. They suggested replacing all the parts in the multi port valve. They said it would be under a $100. Is this a normal part of routine maintenance? Anything else I should have them do?

Is there a REASON you need to replace all parts of the multi valve? I'd pass on having the sand replaced due to the fact they might end up cracking a lateral accidentally and for no good reason.

All my plumbing is glued. If I need to get at a joint I need to have it cut apart. Is there o-rings in the joints?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a REASON you need to replace all parts of the multi valve? I'd pass on having the sand replaced due to the fact they might end up cracking a lateral accidentally and for no good reason.

They said it is just good maintenance.

No, if glued you won't need o rings. I redo a lot of pools that are just glue and hose clamps. You are not alone!

I know the jacuzzi guy that invented sand filters always felt sand never needed replacement.

It's now common for pool stores to tell people that every 5 years their sand should be replaced. What a joke that is. Yours is most definitely still good. Just do a search for deep cleaning sand in here.

There are very few times when replacing sand is necessary. If it's always been a chlorine pool, keep the sand, just deep clean it, and all will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.