My pool feels rough

Nov 5, 2014
Houston, Tx
We had a new pool built last winter and a pool company was taking care of the cleaning and chemistry for us. Over the summer we noticed it starting to turn greenish and the plaster is really rough.
It took a few weeks but they got rid of the green tint, but the pool is still rough. We asked the pool guy if they could fix it and he said no, so he is not our pool guy anymore. My husband and I are trying to figure this out for ourselves but we have no clue what to do. It feels like sandpaper. Is it supposed to be this rough?

Welcome to TFP ! You'll have lots of company here being from Texas !
I'd like to address the greenish part of your post first. I'm going to point you in the direction of our Pool School to do some reading so you can get an understanding of your water and it's needs. It will also help get you started on what we teach here on the forum. It is our goal to educate you to maintain your pool yourself and not relying on the pool store or somebody else to do it. Here are few good articles to start with.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
Recommended chemicals
What is your main chlorine source now ?
Now to maintain your pool water chemistry you'll need to have the right tool for the job and that would be one of these Test Kits. The results from one of these kits will be the results that we trust and will base our advice from. The pool store and test strips are just not accurate enough for us to give accurate advice from. I use the TF -100 kit along with many other members. It's the best value.
I'll let some others comment on the roughness of your plaster.
If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us better help you.
Any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask. ?

Some water test results would be great.

Also what is the pool finished with? normal plaster? pebble tec? something else?

Can we get a picture of the pool?

A one year old pool shouldn't feel rough. Did it always feel rough?

Our pool is a newly-built one but we haven't been encountering that kind of problem. Until today, everything seems fine the moment the pool guys deem it ready for use. Have you tried contacting someone who has more experience on maintaining and repairing pools and let him check out yours?

That rough feeling could be plaster damage or it might be calcium deposits.

Calcium deposits in a crystalline form and actually feels kind of sharp on the surface. It is caused by improperly balanced water and (if it isn't too bad) will go away in time if proper water balance is maintained. If not, it may require an acid wash to remove.

Plaster damage is also caused by improper water balance, but since it is actual pitting of the surface an acid wash would actually make it worse. Nothing short of replastering will make it go away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.