99ways...

May 30, 2008
Central NJ
...to TFP!

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to make an official 1st post and introduce myself real quick.
Like many, I found TFP through the other site...and you know the rest.

Wife and I just purchsed our 1st home in central NJ, which came with a nice (yet a bit neglected) pool.
The water hole is 30Kgal, 19x40 inground...and luckily, when I removed the cover in spring the water was nice and clear.

We've been running on BBB before I knew where my closest pool store was...bought TF-100 before I knew the difference b/w total and combined Cl...added over 200lbs. of salt before I had a whale........and I've had the Liquidator up running before I even knew what all the options on a multiport valve meant.
Just did Zeolite sand in the filter, and top it off with DE.
(no, I don't use that puck chlorinator in the pix below, it sits idle b/c I just don't feel like redoing all that plumbing to get rid of a couple of holes)
.................not bad for a 3 month old 1st-time pool owner, huh?
:wink:

So, in my first post, I'd like to thank all of you for making my first experience with a pool as trouble-free as it possibly can be.
:mrgreen:

My numbers (using TF-100 kit):
FC: 3-5 (adjusted, depending on load/conditions/etc)
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 170
CY: 40
Salt: 2200

...and for your viewing pleasure, here's a couple of pix of our mud hole + equipment:
(disclaimer: nevermind how noobish the equipment/plumbing/wiring looks; this is how we bought it...and I think I'm lucky that everything works to begin with! (for the most part))

pool1.jpg

equip1.jpg

Any/all Qs, comments, advice and criticism always welcome.
Thanks.
-Mike

PS:
...and before anyone asks: my nickname here (and everywhere else online) comes from an old vaforite song of mine: 99 ways 2 die...by Megadeth.
(think back to 9.9 modems...although I'm not that old! (under 35))
;)

99 - welcome to TFP!!

You've obviously done your reading :goodjob: and have a firm grasp on what's going on and may be required for your pool :party: :super:

Everything looks like it should be fine :wink: , though that filter plumbing may haunt my dreams for a while - NOT that there is anything I can see wrong with it - I just like to plumb things a little more aesthetically pleasing 8)

I hope the remainder of your pool season goes well!! GLAD! you've joined us!!

waste said:
...though that filter plumbing may haunt my dreams for a while - NOT that there is anything I can see wrong with it - I just like to plumb things a little more aesthetically pleasing
Hah.
I'm not happy with it either, but it actually is much better than it was before.
For some odd reason the pipes to/from the heater had 3 to 4 90degree turns...boggled the mind.
My valve was cracked and needed replacement...fast, as I was getting water leaks and a big party a day ahead.
So...the evening before the event, to the tune of a flashlight and a couple of Coronas, I quickly cut some pipes (as there were no unions and no other way to remove all this stuff) and refabbed the links n the fly.
One day I'll either redo it all...or paint all this nonsense.
:)
...for now I have to take care of a leaking heater :( so the plumbing system can wait a bit.

PS:
I probably do too much reading, as I was ready to do borates about a month ago....just ran out of time and never got to it.
:mrgreen:

Thank you for the kind words.
When we moved in all that you see above and below was semi-neglected for about a decade.
My neighbor said no one (the previous owner) dared to clean the concrete, fencing, gazibo, deck, driveway, siding, stonework, etc.
They didn't let the place go...but at the same time, didn't make much effort either.
Like I mentionned before, I think I'm actually lucky that all this stuff works, and there are only small problems here and there. This is why I had to replace the valve, change filtering media, replace misc. PCV bits...

We spent a good 3 weeks bringing the outside of our property back to shape...and have been sitting on full paint cans inside. LoL!
Nothing was touched inside thus far.......but we said eff it, summer's here - let's enjoy it a bit. We'll have plantly of time to do interior upgrades/etc.

Here's a pix of the back yard, looking from the 2nd story dining room pattio door (wife wants a raised deck one day, extending almost to the firepit area.....I said "dream on honey...maybe one of those days, but for now we gotta make sure we can afford this place to begin with"). 2 quiet (for now at least) neighbors to the sides of us, no one in front, and a farm/field behind the pool/fence.
............we spent a year and a half looking for the "right" house.
Never dreamed that I would have one with a pool though....and to be 100% honest, didn't really want one.
:hammer:

back.jpg

My second post here. We didn't want a pool either! And we have a natural swimming hole in the backyard. My young former city boys swore they wouldn't touch that pond water until the pretty neighbor girl invited them swimming. :p

But now that I have it, I am looking forward to doing some laps some morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
indyattic said:
... My young former city boys swore they wouldn't touch that pond water until the pretty neighbor girl invited them swimming. :p
Funny how my neighbor and his wife always seem to remember when a few of our female friends/etc are here.
:wink:

PS:
As long as they attracted ....to the neighbor and the whole pool idea - make 'em do work!