Checking levels while pool is closed

kr8434

Gold Supporter
Apr 13, 2014
Northern Virginia
My pool was closed about a month ago. Today I decided to measure the chemicals using a Lamotte strip (didn't want to do the full TF-100 tests). I found that my pH was at least nine, and my Total Hardness was 800+. Other measurements looked good. While I've read posts about the chemical balance at time of closing, are there any guidelines on the chemical balance while the pool is actually closed? Do I need to make any adjustments?

As Jeff eluded to, you need to have the water circulated prior to testing. Also, we do not trust test strips when the pool is open, so why would we trust them when it is closed? :scratch:

The combination of high pH and way high CH doesn't sound good. I would first question the strips and test ALL your parameters with the TF-100 to make sure you need to deal with the issue.

Thank you for all your feedback. I'm going to re-run my tests using a proper test kit.

But my pump is off for the year: Should I just to move the water around a bit with a brush? Or will I not get good results without more water circulation?

Your not going to get accurate results without water circulation. You should always test your water after the pump has been running for at least 30 -40 mins. It's all about accurate testing.
If you want to try the moving some water with the brush it's up to you but I wouldn't trust the results. Your water has been sitting for awhile.
If your water was balanced when you closed I would think its fine.
Others may disagree but I like to give the best advice I can. Thats how I handle things. I would never test my water without the pump having been run at least 30 mins prior to testing.?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.