First Time closing

grump

Nov 5, 2014
USA
I've tried to find out a question about the proper way to close our pool. We live in Ohio and often get very long spells of freezing weather over the winter. I have read the forum about adding antifreeze to the plumbing and blowing out any water in the pipes however I'm wondering if this is needed in all cases? Our pool was built with an "access hole" under the decking as displayed below.

15719588312_72ae36cb82_c.jpg

Is simply draining any water from these pipes and capping off the returns enough to prevent any damage or should I still use antifreeze as added insurance? I'm worried about the winter again this year, as last year was a major pain. If only I could be lucky enough to have mid 70 degree weather year round. :(

Same as above. +1

That access cover looks to be just metal so if the temps drop the temp in that hole would be just as cold.

Any pipe above the frost line is subject to freezing. Personally, I would blow out every line you have then add antifreeze as an insurance policy.

So just to clarify (and I've seen this asked in a few other threads, but I've not seen any real answers) - do you add antifreeze to your return lines? And if so, how?

This year will be my first time closing myself. I have a Cyclone blower. My thought was to blow from the pump. When I blow return side (through the filter and heat pump??), I'll see the air blowing out of the returns and cap each one. I have some deck jets, so my thought was that I could cap each return and still have air flowing through the deck jets, so I'll be able to cap the last return - the air will still have someplace else to go.

So my question is - how do I get antifreeze in the return lines? One answer I saw was to put antifreeze in where the blower is (at the pump) and blow a few puffs to get the antifreeze into the pipes. But if the returns are capped, the air isn't going to blow the antifreeze into those pipes. The airflow will be blocked. So how do you get antifreeze into the return pipes?

** I should add that I wasn't planning on draining below the returns. So my thinking is that I will be capping a return when it is underwater and while air is blowing out of it. Thus the need to have the deck jets open for capping the last return, and thus the reason why I can't add antifreeze from the return itself.

If not lowering below returns, you can always just pour some antifreeze in where you were blowing from, no need to blow it. It will work its way to the low areas which is where any water left in lines will go to as well.

The way you are thinking of doing it is bang on!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.