finding my way

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I'm a little confused with some stuff. I read pool school and have a very basic understanding. I will wait until I get the test kit - maybe I will learn that way?
I have questions questions questions. I ordered the TP100 test today.

I looked at the spa to see about foaming, didn't really find an answer. I cut and pasted the part about using bromine to my husband. The people we bought our spa from didn't really go over chemicals - they said just use it and provided us a starter kit. Sigh...I guess I will email them too.

The pool didn't get finished until it was too cold to go in it. The plaster looks terrible IMO. I wrote the contractor an email asking about it. I can't find the spot that talks about posting pics yet. We still have 2 tiles that need to be replaced and the concrete mastic stained.

We filled the pool to a certain spot on the tile and I was shocked when I saw that it had sunk down about an inch which makes me think leak! we filled it up yesterday and I am going to take a picture and keep note if anyone is in the pool <kids>.

When the guy came out to start our pool, he told us our filter/pump - the big thing - had a small leak at the top. Do they plug or replace??? It seems to be working pretty well. All the pine needles are in the skimmer basket regularly. I check it every day, especially if it's windy. Sorry for my rambling...just a little frustrated. I want everything to be done and it's just dragging on and on....

I'm a little confused with some stuff. I read pool school and have a very basic understanding. I will wait until I get the test kit - maybe I will learn that way?
I have questions questions questions. I ordered the TP100 test today.

The kit and looking at your results will tell you much about what you need to address and will help you learn about managing your pool. If you have not played around with Pool Math you should put in some dummy numbers and get familiar with the tool. It's very helpful once you have your test results and helps immensely with chemical additions.

I looked at the spa to see about foaming, didn't really find an answer. I cut and pasted the part about using bromine to my husband. The people we bought our spa from didn't really go over chemicals - they said just use it and provided us a starter kit. Sigh...I guess I will email them too.

Foaming can be a symptom of CH levels being out of range for your spa. If you have low CH that can cause foaming. Look at your TA levels as well. If those are in range, perhaps your spa could use a decontamination procedure. Even brand new spas can have biofilms contributing to dull water that loses more FC without a bather load than it should. Check your FC or free bromine levels and see how much you lose in the course of a day. It should be less than 2 or so when covered with no bather load (usage).

The pool didn't get finished until it was too cold to go in it. The plaster looks terrible IMO. I wrote the contractor an email asking about it. I can't find the spot that talks about posting pics yet. We still have 2 tiles that need to be replaced and the concrete mastic stained.

Check out Leebo's tutorial on posting photos using a web photo sharing site: Posting Photos Tutorial[/quote]

We filled the pool to a certain spot on the tile and I was shocked when I saw that it had sunk down about an inch which makes me think leak! we filled it up yesterday and I am going to take a picture and keep note if anyone is in the pool <kids>.

Performing a bucket test is the surest way to check for leaks. Measure the pool depth loss versus the lost depth in an isolated bucket of pool water to see if you indeed have a leak.

When the guy came out to start our pool, he told us our filter/pump - the big thing - had a small leak at the top. Do they plug or replace??? It seems to be working pretty well. All the pine needles are in the skimmer basket regularly. I check it every day, especially if it's windy. Sorry for my rambling...just a little frustrated. I want everything to be done and it's just dragging on and on....

Having a small leak on the top of a filter can be a common problem. If you can post pictures of the filter and list the type in your signature you may get better suggestions. It could be that an o-ring just needs some light lubrication and re-seating or it could be more serious depending on severity and location of leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.