Urgent need of advice regarding changing liner

Aziz

Nov 2, 2014
Guelph/Ontario
Hello everybody,
I was planning to close my pool yesterday and the day before (Saturday) as everything was running fine my vinyl liner had a huge crack at the bottom. The crack (or opening) in the liner is very large and goes from one side to the other (so about 15'). The pool lost all its water. The vinyl was old and I was expecting I would need to replace it in the near future so I can't complain about that but I need advice regarding how to proceed now. The main problem is the weather here in the coming few days or weeks. We may have snow and temperatures will certainly drop very soon. When I Asked a number of pool stores about installing a new liner some said they can do it and gave me quotes (ordering the liner will take 2 to 3 weeks) and others were hesitant because of the weather in the coming weeks. So I have the following questions:
1- Should I just go with one of the pool stores I got quotations from since I have no choice. The fear is that I am not sure how the cold weather will affect the installation especially that I will need to close the pool right after the installation so I wont have to see if things were done well and if the liner holds well and has no issues till the month of May 2015 (yes we have a long winter he :)).
2- Do I have any other options? Can I and should I avoid installing the new liner for the reasons above now and if yes what should I do now?
This is a 15'x24' onground pool
Any advice is welcome and thank you very much.
Cheers
Aziz

I would put one in now if you cant fix the leaking. As its a special order, I would let the pool store do it. The onus is on them to measure it properly and install it properly. Liners can be put in right up to snow, just a lil more difficult. You will see the boys with coffee kettles pouring warm water on the liner to get it to fit in certain spots.

I would put one in now if you cant fix the leaking. As its a special order, I would let the pool store do it. The onus is on them to measure it properly and install it properly. Liners can be put in right up to snow, just a lil more difficult. You will see the boys with coffee kettles pouring warm water on the liner to get it to fit in certain spots.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will call tomorrow to ask about warranty because some stores that refused to install the liner now said they don't do it at this time for liability reasons.

I have large pieces of liner. Should I try to fix the crack (a very large one) or not? especially if the store does not give me good warranty?
Thank you

An old brittle liner should be replaced. No sense throwing repairs at it. There should be a PC near you that is competent enough to do this job. If no stores will install this time of year, you might have to though. Get some vinyl adhesive and get it sealed up so it will hold water. Putting in a liner isn't an easy DIY job, but you can save a ton if you do. The most difficult part is measuring it properly.

An old brittle liner should be replaced. No sense throwing repairs at it. There should be a PC near you that is competent enough to do this job. If no stores will install this time of year, you might have to though. Get some vinyl adhesive and get it sealed up so it will hold water. Putting in a liner isn't an easy DIY job, but you can save a ton if you do. The most difficult part is measuring it properly.

Thank you very much again.
I also prefer to change it but I was asking just in case I will not be given a good warranty.
I can not do it myself, certainly not at this time.
Many thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.