I've been lurking!!

Psigno

Nov 2, 2014
harrisburg NC
my wife has my laptop so I am writing this on an iPad....sorry in advance

Bought a new house and ran into issue after issue with the backyard pool. I read and googled and read some more. Most of my reading was on this site. Went from an emerald green algae infested pool to ALMOST clear pool. I shocked the heck out of the pool and turned it blue. After cleaning my DE filter I noticed I was putting DE back in the pool. So more reading and googling. After trial and error I decided to buy new filters and vacuuming twice this week, I think I have fixed that issue. I can see that there is a bottom to the pool and it is not white and dusty!

Without knowing you guys really helped me out A LOT! I suspect I will have a clear pool by next weekend. I thank all of you, some had the same problems I have encountered and others have helped. Without you I probably would have filled it in! Once again thanks for the awesome forum!

Welcome to TFP !
Glad you found this site and on your your way to fixing the pool up instead of filling it in.
Sounds like your in the middle of a SLAM. Make sure you follow the directions to the T. If you don't it won't work like it should and you'll have recurring problems.
The three criteria to stop the slam are
Crystal clear water.
CC of 0.5 or less.
Pass the OCLT Test.
Going forward how do you plan on chlorinating your pool ? After your done clearing the pool, can you post up a set of test results and what kit you are using so we can see if everything is in line ?
Any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask. If you can, post up a pic of your pool. ?

I have a Aqua Chem (dip,scan,swim) kit

As of 7 this morning:

Alk 120
Ph 7.6
Free cl 7.5
Hrd 350
Cya 115

All are good but free cl and cya per the test results of this kit. I know it's a crummy kit but I plan on getting a better one, once I figure out which to purchase

Here is the kit to get. TF 100. Best kit out there IMO and the one I along with most of the people on this site use. It's the best value. I'm not familiar with the kit your using. We base our advice off good accurate testing from one of these recommended kits. Small investment for your pool and keeping your water in balance.
From looking at those results your CYA is too high and your FC is too low. Can you give us a little history of what you've been adding to your pool so far ?
Test Kits

Like I said in above post, I had DE shooting into the pool, all is well now and now that I fixed the DE issue. I have a semi cloudy pool. It's getting much better everyday. Should I just keep it running? 24/7? Or should I use the timer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Run your pump 24/7 until it clears. Having a DE filter will help it clear faster but also the pressure rises quicker. Remember to back wash your filter when the pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure. When you back wash only add 80% of the DE you would add if you did a tear down and cleaned. Some of the DE remains when you just backwash.
The cloudiness can be from low FC also. That's why we need to know accurately what your CYA level is so we can set the FC range. ?

your Polaris wont help much. It doesnt filter fine enough to remove the cloudiness, and even if it did, it would fill up quick. It just isnt big enough to me of much help.

Keep your FC and SLAM level and keep filtering 24/7 and you will whip it.
The TF test kit will help you tremendously.

That's hard to say. Start with half a dozen. Get yourself familiar with Pool Math if your not. It will tell you how much bleach to add to get to your range. With your CYA level probably being high your looking at water replacement to lower that level. When you get your kit you'll get a better result on that level.
What do you use to chlorinate your pool now ? ?

125. It's my sons. He got it when he was eight. He's ten now. Can't keep him off it. It's a nice quad. Five speed with clutch. Re jetted the carb and put a pipe on it. It runs good.
When we get your CYA level fixed you need to go with liquid chlorine ( bleach ). The tabs are bad news for chlorinating on a continuing basis as they keep raising the CYA level. ?

Welcome to the forum Psigno :wave:

Well, lurking is kind of like sticking your foot in the pool to test the water temp. Lurking lets you learn if you want to join and also gives you some knowledge so you're not starting from scratch on the knowledge curve, it's a good thing ;)

The chlorinating tablets on the other hand are a bad thing when used all the time as you do get the chlorine (FC) you need and that gets used up quickly but they also add some CYA (stabilizer) with each tablet and CYA doesn't dissipate. Each tablet just keeps adding more and more CYA until it's so high it's causing problems with keeping your pool clean.

Here are some video how to on testing : https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

You are correct. I am learning a lot and these few messages have added to my knowledge. I'm going to continue reading. I did not realize the tab was a bad thing as you say above. My FC is low.

I am a sales mgr for a Powersports store in NC and I know all about the yamaha quads. Great products! He will be itching for more power soon enough!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support