PH is high after SLAMing

Apr 21, 2011
Eastern PA
I want to close my pool so I decided to SLAM it instead of covering the "green pool". It took me about a 5 days to rid the pool of algae, but the pool is cloudy and my PH reading is weird. when I test it the PH reads 7.5, but if I let it sit for a couple of minutes, it goes up to about 8. Could it be that the water temperature is cold and then warms up to room temperature? Also the TA test doesn't change to red, it changes to yellowish color. I'm kind of confused here. should I wait until my FC levels start dropping before I try to check & balance both the PH & TA or is it safe to close the pool as is.

What Pwrstrk suggests is likely the cause of your Ph reading.

If it's still cloudy you haven't completed the SLAM yet. Can you post a picture of the waters condition ??
I'd wait to close until you have completed the SLAM first, adjusted the Ph second (with FC under 10) and then raise the FC back up to SLAM and close.

You've put this much effort into it that it makes sense to finish the SLAM by passing the OCLT, then do Ph and then raise to SLAM again and close. Please add a location to your profile. If you are in an area where you have to worry NOW about a heavy freeze or snow than closing now wouldn't be that bad as you've done a good job cleaning it up. If you open in spring before your water gets above 60 you'll likely be good. I just like and think it's easier to put it to bed for the winter clean and they you are more likely not to have a problem in spring.

Looks like a fail of the OCLT to me (assuming the sun was not out for the evening or morning test). Is the water still cloudy?

I too suggest continuing the SLAM until you pass the 3 tests before closing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep at it, and you'll get there.

Yellow in the TA test is from excess FC interference with it. Same with the pH. Finish the slam and fix the pH last. TA should be way down on the priority list.

Pool finally cleared up. Backwashed in the morning and continued to let the filter run 24/7. Came home from work today and WOW, it's crystal clear. I was worried because I never dealt with a "swamp". I've had occasional light greenish over the summer but not as bad. I'm thinking that I probably never killed the "light" algae in the first place and it grew back with a vengeance.

thanks to all of you and have a happy fall and winter.

Ending a SLAM too early is a common mistake. People see the water getting clear and they think they have it licked. That OCLT is really important in telling you it's all dead.

Hello all. since I started this thread in November, I want to update this thread instead of opening a new one for future references. So I opened my pool last weekend and did all my tests (pool was semi clear). Interestingly, my FC level was 1.5, CC-.5, pH-7.2, TA-50, CH-200, CYA-30. Shocked the pool with bleach, backwashed and vacuumed periodically, as well as scrubbed the walls and bottom. Crystal Clear :D. My main concern is the CYA as I think it's kind of subjective when testing. I read it at 40, my wife reads it at 30, my kids read it around 35, etc. So I went from 70 to lets say 30. I thought it would drop to 0. and also is it normal to have an FC level of 1.5 when opening the pool. that's kind of strange. I must have SLAMED the heck out of the pool. I hope I didn't ruin the liner. what do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.