Help!! Winterized pool possibly losing water

May 23, 2014
Trenton, NJ
Hi, first year pool owner and I paid a company to close my pool. When they closed my pool, they dropped my water level below the skimmer line. It's tough to tell since the cover is on it, but I think I am losing water and the water level inside the pool is dropping. My yard around my pool is swamped, however we have had a TON of rain lately and my yard holds water. The company that closed my pool stinks and won't return my calls. The pillow they installed in the middle has blown to one side two days after they closed pool.

A couple questions
- How deep do they typically drop the water line at closing?
- What should I do if I am losing water? Does it get fixed now or wait until next year? Who fixes it? How to confirm it is a liner leak so I can claim on warranty? etc
- The water line is deep below me, I have used a pump to get water off the cover, but how the heck am I supposed to get snow off it?....It has to be at least 3 feet below ledge of pool. No way I can broom snow up.
- Is there a way I can close my pool next year without lowering water level? If I need another product with my skimmer to allow that, what should I buy?

I have attached a few pictures to show my current pool condition, however, it is tough to show water levels in pic
Thanks for any advice!! Also, please keep in mind I am not handy, so any work I would most likely have to hire someone to do.

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 29
You need to check around the equipment and the fittings that pass through the liner (if still submerged) to see if, what, where the leak is. Hopefully it isn't a rip in the liner !!

Someone else suggested using an inner-tube as a support and that would be a bit more substantial but still allow for deflation and easy storage in the off season. Also can be centered in the pool with ropes.

The company that did winterizing drained water below skimmer and lines. I have a bad feeling that it's the liner. Do you think they replace liner now or wait until after winter? I'm thinking my pool won't make the winter if I wait.

Well if it's the liner and you lose a lot of water the pool could collapse from not having enough water in it to be structurally sound.
I'm assuming it has a cover on it. The cover could get a lot of snow and water on it and with little water in the pool, pull the walls in, depending on how much water you lose. ?

My concern would be the cover pulling the sides in if the pool continues to drain and you get some weight (rain, snow or ice) on it. I'd take the cover off.

I don't know if it would be better to leave it open and let it fill with whatever rain and snow you get and wait until spring and hope for the best or take it down or replace now. IF it's the liner maybe you can find the leak and either do a good repair and get a few more years out of it or slap something in there and at least make it through the winter and replace in spring ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.