Pool closing in Wisconsin

brasilmom

Jul 23, 2011
Brookfield, WI
Hello,

I normally had someone come and close the pool, but am ready do it this year. And of course, with that come questions.

Our pool has the big gizmos thing for the skimmer and we plan to use that. The person whom closed for us in the past would always put the empty gallon jug of shock into the skimmer too, and I never understood why. Is that really necessary?

What is the best way to completely drain/empty the lines? How does one go about the bottom drain? Shall all the return valve be in closed position as well?

I am sure there will be other questions, but that's all for now. Thank you so much for the usual help.

PB's put an empty antifreeze jug in the mouth of the skimmer as added protection. It acts the same as the Gizmo, if any water gets in there and freezes, the ice can grow inward and crumple the jug, versus growing outwards and breaking the skimmer.

Most will use good shop vac to blow out their lines, once they just see mist, they then pour antifreeze into the lines and one quick blow again to move this antifreeze down the lines. Bottom drain will require more air then most shop vacs can handle, some use compressors and some use Cyclones. The cyclone is made for blowing out lines and for installation of liners. The volume of air it moves is why it can blow a main drain completely free of water. If you can get it to bubble, then you close the ball valve and add a pressure plug to ensure the air doesn't move out of the ball valve. Most ball valve will leak and allow the water you pushed out into pool to come back into the line.

Look up the sticky on here for closing, its bang on for what exactly you should do.

Thank you for your reply. I am now draining the pool and will start on the lines soon. I do not remember seeing the closing person putting anti-freeze in the lines, but I guess he did. I cannot understand how to blow the line for the bottom drain. how do I access it? Pardon for my immense ignorance. I just need a visual to understand it all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.