hayward sand filter issue

Jan 7, 2013
hi all, i have a hayward sand filter. I'd like to know, what sorts of problems can occur if one was not to backwash properly(not turning the filter to the "OFF" setting when turning the lever)?

I haven't backwashed properly, turned the lever without switching to "off" in between. I now have a slow sand build up in my pool. What's the likely cause?

thanks

If you do not shut off your pump before turning the multiport valve you can in effect do damage to the spider gasket inside. This gasket helps in ensure a proper seal for all the positions the multiport valve can go in. If its damaged sand can make its way into the valve and be pushed into the pool. It should normally only be that sand that is left in the multiport after a backwash. The filter when working properly directs water down through the sane, out the laterals and returns to the pool. At times these laterals can develop cracks and that in turn allows sand to work its way through them and back into the pool. Before start up in the spring, you can remove the sand and inspect the laterals to be sure no sand is going that route.

I haven't backwashed properly, turned the lever without switching to "off" in between. I now have a slow sand build up in my pool. What's the likely cause?
They could be unrelated but there is a decent chance the gasket in the mutiport has been damaged allowing sand to pass through into your pool. Unscrew the screws in the top of your multiport and inspect that gasket carefully. Pump off!:D

my hayward sand filter is model s244t 2 inch. With this model, is replacing the gasket in the multiport even possible?
Also, is the multiport gasket referred to as a 'spider gasket?'
Thankyou

I believe you have to buy the diverter assembly for yours, you should be able to get a new one for under $30. The multiport is the whole head, including the gasket and diverter. Its the handle you move to filter, backwash, rinse, circulate, waste and winterize.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.