Rebalancing after Jack's Magic #2

Oct 29, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Need some help. Trying to rebalance my pool after using Jack's Magic #2. It says in the instructions that the FC reading will be skewed for up to 30 days, and to use the CC reading as your guide. I am measuring a CC of 6 and a FC of 1.5 after adding Clorox to help bring up the FC because it has been 3 weeks now with a FC reading of 0.5. Has anyone had this problem, or should I just wait the 30 days and see if it goes back the other way to a correct FC reading and a normal CC reading of 0 which is what I've had. I don't want to over chlorinate if in fact the readings are correct. I use the TF-100 test kit for my testing. Using a SWG. Thanks!

FC - 1.5
CC - 6
Alk - 70
PH - 7.6
Cal - 220
CYA - 60

Will the FC just adjust back the other way and measure correctly? The CC will go back to the 0 reading i'm used to seeing correct? Thanks for the input, i'll see what happens this week being the 30 days will be expiring.

Ok, 30 days gone, and still no difference in measurement. I know you mentioned if its fall it may take a bit longer. Any estimates as to when it should go back? My CC measured 8 yesterday and the FC measured 1, which was a bit of an improvement. I've actually turned my SWG way down to get it back to the 3 - 5 that I usually keep it at. Any thoughts on an estimate? Thanks.

Just got off the phone with a tech from Jack's Magic. He is recommending being the 30 days has expired and my CC is at 7 now I should shock it out. He also wanted to make sure that my PH and ALK was back in balance which it is. Do you agree? Thanks.

It sounds like it's time to SLAM your pool and get back on a regular diet of FC in relation to your CYA.
SLAM - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

After you complete the SLAM by passing the OCLT then you want to maintain a CYA of 70 or 80
CYA of 70 you would want to target 5ppm FC and a minimum of 3 that you don't want to drop below at any time. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Have you turned your SWG back up to were it had been previously??

I've turned down the SWG because of the colder weather and seeing the CC climb up continuously. I thought I was getting false CC readings based on the instructions on the Jack's Magic. Now being over 30 days, I'm thinking I agree. It's time to SLAM. Going to the store to get the Clorox! Good news is the water is clear and not green, so I think this will be an easy fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HELP! I started the SLAM process....First got the FC up to 24 as directed by the CYA chart. 1 hour later FC down to 13 and CC had risen up to 15 from 10. Added another 2 1/2 gal of bleach to bring up FC back to 24, and remeasured. CC now at 25!!!??? What is going on? I thought the SLAM level would drop the CC not make it climb. Talked to Jack's Magic tech and he said to wait 24 hours and retest after the second run to get to FC 24. Why is the CC climbing!!!!! HELP, I don't want to over chlorinate if I am in fact still getting false readings from the residual Jack's Magic #2 after 30 days of it circulating. Thanks!

I can't help you with the FC readings, I've never used a stain remover so I don't have any knowledge of how stuff reacts to it. If no one else jumps in with advise I'd go with what the Jack's Magic person said.

What problem were you having and did it take care of it ??

It took care of the stains, but the readings are not coming in correctly. I'm just nervous that now my chlorine is now at 50 being you add FC + CC. The water is crystal clear and so it makes no sense. I'll check again tomorrow and hopefully it will start to balance out. If someone else knows whats going on, please HELP! thanks.

The MSDS for Jack's Magic Stain Solution #2 (The Copper and Scale Stuff) indicates that decomposition products may be sulfur dioxide and sodium sulfide and that it may also release sulfur trioxide and ammonia if involved in a fire. So the chemical being used contains sulfur and nitrogen, possibly an ammonium compound. That would explain the CC. However, having the CC persist indicates it's not just ammonia. Since I don't know exactly what it is, it may just be slow to oxidize and I suspect that with the water temperature colder that this is the primary reason it is taking longer. Not much you can do about it except wait (or heat the pool, but that seems pretty wasteful).

Well considering the pool is already at SLAM level, I guess we'll see what happens. Have you ever seen CC go up to 25 like that??? I may also heat the pool this weekend and get the water temp up in the 70's to help the process. By keeping it at SLAM level, it seems the CC is staying or climbing at the same level the FC is. In my mind the chlorine level is at 50 TC which is not good. The Jack's Magic tech also talked about "breakpoint chlorination"....??

It took care of the stains, but the readings are not coming in correctly. I'm just nervous that now my chlorine is now at 50 being you add FC + CC. The water is crystal clear and so it makes no sense. I'll check again tomorrow and hopefully it will start to balance out. If someone else knows whats going on, please HELP! thanks.

Well, your Total Chlorine (TC) might be 50 but it isn't a number that should worry you. You need to keep adding chlorine to the pool to keep the FC up to SLAM level (FC/CYA) so that it takes care of the CC and starts to lower it by oxidizing off whatever organic "stuff" you have in there. Just because the water is clear doesn't mean it's clean or that something isn't growing in there.

You shouldn't use your FC and CC as your FC as it leaves you with very little free chlorine in the pool to do the cleaning. You need to have free chlorine in there to reduce the CC.

I'm still cautious about you being unsure of the test numbers but with the Jack's stuff past it's 30 days it sounds like either you leave it alone for another week or go ahead and do a SLAM and hope for the best. Even in another week it might still seem the numbers are off. I think you should just slam it with the correct FC for your CYA, try to keep it up there all day for a day or two and see if the CC starts to come down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.