Pentair Multiport Valve -- Handle Won't Turn

jon777

Oct 31, 2014
Jupiter, FL
Brand Newbie here. Starting to try and do things myself here, and hopefully displace my monthly service.

Just got an email from my company, that the "handle on the filter the broken and must be replaced" with a quote for $350. Doing a little digging here it seems likely that I can either just replace the handle, or the Top assembly, without replacing the filter. The top assembly seems like it would be pretty simple (after powering down pump, of course) -- just remove the screws, take off the assembly and replace? Should I try taking it off first before getting the part and seeing if there is some debris or something blocking?

Also, if I need to replace the assembly, any advice on where to order from (Leslie's seems to be double what I see what I think is the right part), and do I need to be doing something (other than reading the part number off of the attached pic) to ensure I get the right part?

Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Disassemble the multiport by removing the screws and inspect the "innards" It is a pretty simple device and any issues will probably be obvious. Most common problem seem to be the "spider gasket" or "wagon wheel" gasket that you will find on the inside. Let us know what you find.

Hmmm.... Pool company was here yesterday for normal cleaning. Not sure if they did something or not, but was able to get the latch up and turning. It's a little cranky, but everything seems ok now.

Thanks for the advice... Will start with the basics in Pool School, as I need to learn how to do some things myself!

Next project probably will be around DE filter cleaning / maintenance... I see there is some good step by step instructions on that!

Mine was getting really stiff to turn. My valve is outside and exposed and likely over the years dirt and "stuff" slipped in under the handle and started to cause to shaft to be really stiff. I took it apart, cleaned it, used a little silicone plumbing lube on the shafts "O" ring and it turns easier than I've ever know it too, like new !!
The white plastic washer (in the video) finally broke into pieces which is why I tore mine down.

How to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVr5d_mpKAI

Re. ordering parts - you might try your local Pinch-A-Penny instead of Leslie's. It's a Florida-based franchise outfit. My father-in-law swore by his local store in Weeki Wachee.

I order most parts online, though. Once you know what you need, just Google for it and you'll see lots of places to buy it.

Good luck!

Thanks CUTiger. We do have a local Pinch-a-Penny here, so will check them out. Not sure if there were better/worse places for parts, and ensuring you are getting an OEM part -- am new to this, so am assuming like most things these days, there are OEM replacements, and knock offs?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.