Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ring around the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Ring around the pool

We had a hard rain the other night, first in months. It brought the pool level up three inches. I used a garden hose to siphon off the excess water, started the pump, added chlorine, and have been watching for algae, but seems to be okay. However, the rain did leave a narrow greasy black ring at its top level around the sides of the pool and the inside of the skimmer basket. The ground here is black clay, and it has not rained in a long time, so the greasy black seems to be just a collection of dirt, pollen, etc that had been suspended in the air for the last couple months. I want to clean it before it stains the liner. What do you suggest? I was thinking a baking soda and water paste or a borax and water paste, rubbed with a soft cloth. I am able to remove it partly with just water, but not enough to completely remove the discoloration.
    Extra info: I tried a spot with borax and water, still have the black ring, just not greasy now. The stain may already have set, so any thoughts on how to remove it? The black clay here stains badly (floors, clothes, walls, etc) and usually requires pretty heavy duty cleaners to remove.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ring around the pool

You can use the baking soda and water paste or a Mr. Clean Eraser. I haven't use the baking soda paste, but it was suggested by a reputable person, so I am sure it works. I have used the Mr. Clean Eraser and had good results with it.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

3. Back To Top    #3

I use the magic eraser for cleaning my vinyl tile line, it works great.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I also have used the magic eraser with good results.
    An enzime cleaner works well too.
    I also keep a "scum ball" in the skimmer to control most of it through out
    the season.

JB
    14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward Pro-Grid 36sqft DE
    Hayward auto chlorine feeder (offline:using BBB)
    Hayward AG Gas heater

5. Back To Top    #5

What is a "scum ball" and how do I get one?
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

I buy them at Leslies, the come two to a pack.
    They look like a large tennnis ball, but softer.
    I drop one in the skimmer and as the water filters through
    it rolls around the skimmer and collects the oils and grime tunig it from white
    to grey / black

jb
    14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward AG Gas heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I tried borax and water paste, baking soda and water paste with microfiber cloth, pool brush, and a mr. clean magic eraser. The greasy is gone, and the stain is mostly gone, but there is still some "ring around the pool". I have a plain light blue liner. I realize staining is a part of life with AGP, and that it is going to happen, but it sure is annoying to have a stain around the edges on a 1 week old pool. Plus, it keeps raining, raining, raining, which means it keeps staining. Not on the bottom, just around the side where the rain water meets the pool water, thus the ring around the pool. Anyone got any other suggestions? BTW, the magic eraser is great for all kinds of pool related clean up, including the scum line in the skimmer, and has worked the best of anything, but still not completely removed the stain.

8. Back To Top    #8

The stain will eventually go away. Keep your water level up and keep using the Magic Erasure.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

9. Back To Top    #9

Try Natural Chemistry's "Clean and Perfect" enzime cleaner in conjunction with the magic eraser.
    That will removed the rest of the staining. It has worked excellant for me. I use it once a month
    to clean the grease ring off the liner, stairs and skimmer.

jb
    14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward AG Gas heater