SLAMed, stayed on it, pH rises quickly and now it's cloudy

ZESTR

Oct 2, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Quick summary:
Just started TFPC on Oct 4. SLAMed for a week or so-- pool was greenish when we began--- pool was looking sparkling by Oct 10 and down to 0 CC by Oct 20, good levels, etc.

Well, now it is Oct 30.

Yesterday we noticed a faint cloudiness-- stll can see to the bottom easily, but just not "sparkling". Husband scrubbed the whole pool we were within normal FC.

Today there is a small yellow patch, maybe the size of a dnner plate. So-- mustard algae is back? We scrubbed 2x a day-- extra on the ladder, light, and drain. Could this be because our bottom drain is stupidly plumbed and doesnt work, so it's staying in there where we can't get to it? If so-- why did it stay sparkling for weeks?

Also-- is pH supposed to rise quickly? Nothing went into the pool the last 5 days and yet the pH was 7.2 on Oct 24, 7.4 on Oct 26, 7.8 on Oct. 30.
We filled it 1 inch with hose water Oct 25. Hose water does have high ph-- 8.0, but still it was just an inch.

Now:
ph= 7.8
FC= 5
CC= .2
Alk= 75
Calc= 190
CYA- 70 (bringing down slowly

I'm going to start SLAMing now, but I am confused by the pH--- oh--- and my FC was 6 on Oct 24 and it's still at 5 almost a week later???
And why is this mustard algae back again? We were so vigilant and followed every rule of SLAMing!

It's 75 degrees here. (60s at night)

Thank you!

If you completely cleared up the black algae I would be surprised. The mere fact your pool went cloudy again so fast, tells me it wasn't all gone. Its possible you have not a lot of flow in that area of the pool, are your eyeballs on the returns pointed correctly? Do you have details of how you went about SLAMing? Also, the CYA level now dictates your goal for Chlorine should be 8, if CYA was higher then that Chlorine # only rises. I use the 7-11-40 rule, 7% of CYA is the absolute minimum chlorine you should have in your pool, 11% is the target and 40% is the shock level. Addition of liquid bleach will cause a false rise in ph, but this will come back down once that bleach is used up in battling whatever is in your pool.

Can you give details of how you slammed it?

Also-- is pH supposed to rise quickly? Nothing went into the pool the last 5 days and yet the pH was 7.2 on Oct 24, 7.4 on Oct 26, 7.8 on Oct. 30.
We filled it 1 inch with hose water Oct 25. Hose water does have high ph-- 8.0, but still it was just an inch.
waterfals, returns disturbing the water surface or kids splashing around in the pool can cause pH rise. Any sources of areation like this?

Nope-- none. Water is too cold to swim and there are no waterfalls-- pool is even fenced in, nothing really gets in except pine needles!

It was mustard algae. I don't know... we passed the overnight test 3x in a row-- I followed SLAMing to a tee on here and was posting here regularly and got help.

Pool was crystal clear from Oct 11- Oct 29.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.