Difference between Hayward S270T2 and Hayward S270T sand filters

Oct 28, 2014
Berwick/Maine
I guess the first thing I need to figure out is how to initiate a new Forum. Lacking that knowledge I'll post this under the 'Just Getting Started' Forum.
I've got a 18x36 IG and it's time for a new pump and filter system. I notice internet prices are several hundred dollars less than pool store prices. However I lack the knowledge of what pump goes with what filter model. Cutting to the chase...
My pool used a Hayward SP2605X7 Super Pump 3/4-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed Pool Pump even though my bottom drain is well below the 8' this pump presumably supports. Even though I noticed no problem with the 3/4 HP, I'm going to buy a Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed Pool Pump. Why, because it's listed as less expensive than the 3/4 HP pump (not sure why). Want to buy a sand filter compatible with this 1 HP pump but don't know the difference between the Hayward S270T2 and Hayward S270T sand filters. For that mater, presume but not even sure if these are compatible with a 1 HP pump.

Anyone know the difference between these two filters and how you can tell relationship between pump motor HP and sand filter which can be used with it? Any experience you have with any of these three items would also be helpful.

Welcome to TFP!

The S270T2 has 2" plumbing connections, the S270T has 1.5" plumbing connections. Otherwise they are identical. Both are compatible with a 1HP pump.

I don't recommend getting a larger pump, it will use more electricity and cost more in the long run. It would be even better if you got a two speed pump. A two speed pump run on low speed for twice as long moves the same amount of water while using half the electricity.

Welcome to TFP!

The S270T2 has 2" plumbing connections, the S270T has 1.5" plumbing connections. Otherwise they are identical. Both are compatible with a 1HP pump.

I don't recommend getting a larger pump, it will use more electricity and cost more in the long run. It would be even better if you got a two speed pump. A two speed pump run on low speed for twice as long moves the same amount of water while using half the electricity.

Thanks Jason,
So if a 3/4 HP pump worked for me and uses less power, there's no reason to push more water through the S270T filter I'm considering. Got it.
Not sure I understand advantage of the 2 speed motor. Do you turn it on high when low isn't keeping pool clean and low when maintaining pool cleanliness is fine on low? Or maybe High only when you back wash and low when filtering? Are you recommending a 3/4 HP low with a 1 HP high? I'd assume there's some HP you would not want to drop below for use with the Hayward S270T sand filter.

You would use low speed for filtration and high only for vacuuming and backwashing. The HP of low speed does not matter for this discussion.

Low moves half the water as high but for a quarter the power.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.