suggestion for 2nd cleaner - just returned generic barracuda

Oct 28, 2014
OKC, OK
I purchased a generic barracuda ($100) this summer and it worked great for about 1 month. I took it apart to see if it needed to be cleaned and it never worked properly again. It would stop and need to be tugged on to move again. Pool is only 2yrs old with 1hp pump. I'm convinced there is nothing wrong with pump system. I returned it and now want to purchase another cleaner. Pool guy recommended a robot but I'd rather not spend that kind of $. Also pool is small (8,000) gallon salt water blue fiberglass and no trees above. Biggest thing I need to clean for is dust and dirt on the bottom and sides. The pool cleaner seems to come highly recommended here. Any other suggestions or thoughts on what I should get?

Does the PoolCleaner work for above ground pools? I've been putting it off, but would really like to buy a cleaner.

This 1 year-old article ranks the top 10 above ground cleaners, but doesn't seem to mention The PoolCleaner, but maybe it's considered in inground cleaner.

I was going to get a generic Kreepy Krawly for about $85, but it looks like the price went up to $125 (that's a pretty big price spike). Also the article lists Wanda the Whale as the best, and that's going for $125 on Amazon, so maybe I should get that one.

But the article says nothing about why Wanda the Whale is better than Kreepy Krawly. I wish it would elaborate.

I read another article that agrees with jblizzable about robots being the best of the best, but that same article mentioned that for smaller pools, a cheaper cleaner (like Wanda the Whale) probably makes more sense. My pool is an 18 foot diameter round pool (7600 gallons), so I'm thinking that I probably qualify as a small pool, so I guess I'm leaning towards buying the Wanda the Whale model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.