Preliminary numbers after drain/refill

Sep 26, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I drained ~75% of my water and refilled it overnight. It isn't completely full yet (about 6" left), but wanted to get some preliminary numbers before I had to head to work. The pump hasn't been run yet, either, so not sure if that will affect the readings.

pH - 8.1 (I'm not good with colors, but nearly as pink as 8.2)
FC - 4.0
CC - 0
CH - 225 (down from 425)
TA - 170
CYA - 30 (down from 160)

Added the recommended amount of muriatic acid and pH dropped down to 7.2.

Will do another complete round of tests in the morning, but really happy with the numbers so far.

Thanks for all the advice and info which have allowed me to avoid getting "pool store'd"

On a related note, I decided to replace the O-Ring on my pump strainer basket and Leslie's had it in stock for only $25.99! I entered the part number into Amazon and got 2-day delivery for $6.99 (would have been $4.15 if I was less impatient)

Just one thing about your TA. With each addition of acid that will lower your PH and your TA will also start to lower also.
You don't necessarily have to target a certain TA number. Your TA will be in good spot when your PH has a slow rise. The TA may be out of range on paper, but if your PH is rather stable with a slow rise the TA is good.?

On a related note, I decided to replace the O-Ring on my pump strainer basket and Leslie's had it in stock for only $25.99! I entered the part number into Amazon and got 2-day delivery for $6.99 (would have been $4.15 if I was less impatient)

What a bargain! Only 300%+ mark up at Leslie's!

Like the rest have said, as you add MA to keep the pH in range the TA will drop over time as a result until you have to add MA less frequently due to a lower TA concentration which will naturally settle where it "wants to be."

New numbers from this morning:

pH - 7.2
FC - 6.0 (added bit too much bleach but wanted to give it some room to see how quickly it drops per day)
CC - 0
CH - 175
TA - 140
CYA - 30

My theoretical goal was 40, so I overshot it a bit. Not sure if I should worry about it or not since it is still 'in range' (30-50).

I plan to do one more round of lowering TA, but hopefully after that, I'll be done with major changes and can just enjoy the pool and monitor it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Personally, I aim for CYA of 40 as that is the lowest value that you can reliably test. 30 is a guess. Also, topping off with rain or fill water will dilute CYA. If you decide to raise it, would you use powdered dichlor? That's what I like because it dissolves quickly and is easy to use.

Personally, I aim for CYA of 40 as that is the lowest value that you can reliably test. 30 is a guess. Also, topping off with rain or fill water will dilute CYA. If you decide to raise it, would you use powdered dichlor? That's what I like because it dissolves quickly and is easy to use.

I use the TF 100 kit and I can read 30, 20 ppm of CYA with no problem.

Numbers from this morning:

pH - 7.5
FC - 4.0
CC - 0
CH - 175
TA - 130
CYA - 30

I decided to do one more round of muriatic acid, which should drop TA to 120 or so. After that, should I simply leave it alone and monitor it?

Also, is my CH too low for a plaster pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.