Pool Ionizer

Oct 26, 2014
Lake City
I just learned today while shopping for our first pool that there is another type of pool system, my dealer referred to it as the copper system, but i believe its the pool Ionizer (he explained it more but there was a lot of info and i lost a portion of it). He likes it better then the salt system, does anyone on here have one of those? If you do how much do you like it or hate it, do you have any problems with it? Thank you in advance.
Heidi V

Welcome to the site! What kind of pool are you looking at?

If it's a copper system, it's just a band-aid for people that don't actually spend the time to maintain their pool properly. The new Intex salt water chlorine generators have a copper ionization system, the pool frog system is based on silver and copper, and lots of Algaecides are copper based. It does nothing to kill bacteria and pathogens in the water, it just slows the growth of algae. Some people swear by the copper systems. 99+% of everyone on this site will tell you to avoid copper like the plague. At higher levels, it causes green hair and pool staining, and is unnecessary if you maintain proper chlorine levels.

Welcome to the forum Heidi :wave:

Most people on here tend to dismantle or disconnect their copper systems. Most end up here because they are having problems caused by their systems and find going with salt or chlorine and balancing their waters chemistry usually clears up their problems. Using salt or chlorine are the preferred methods and just so there is no confusion salt is a chlorine system you just don't need to cart gallons of bleach to your pool all the time. ;)

Thank you all for the welcome. I did try to locate info in the forum before i asked, but i wasn't typing in the right words i guess. Any way i am glad i asked! Thank for letting me know. I was looking into a doughboy but I want salt system the man from the pool shop said that i can't use a salt system on doughboy. We are also looking into fiberglass in ground it all depends on how much we want to actually spend in the end. He also gave us information about a pool called the Ultimate Pool made by foxpool.com, it is apparently a pool system that was made for below ground but can be used for above ground as well. He has my husband sold. its 10,000 for just the pool not including the stairs for 2000, upgrade to salt 1500, led light 500 and install 5000.00. The guy is nice but i think he was just trying to upsell us. I thought winter time was sale time for pool ugg! that is for a 17 x32.

- - - Updated - - -

here is a link to that pool my hubby is sold on. http://foxpool.com/products/Details.aspx/Details-Ultimate

Nature 2 is also a "metal" based system. Pool, no, but we do use in our stand alone hot tub. It works well, but again, for a pool, no. If you are looking for lower Maintence than BBB method that is popular here look into SWG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copper sulfate can be also used. There is no evidence that copper ions from an ionizing cell are different from copper ions from copper sulfate. Copper concentration has to be at 0.5ppm in the pool water and has to be measured. Any lower, and copper will not inhibit algae growth while at higher concentration copper may stain the pool or turn hair green. PH has to be kept lower as well. Taylor has a test set for copper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.