Shop Vac Too Old?

Reba33

Aug 14, 2013
Durham, NC
We are in the process of closing our pool for the first time. Everything was moving along very nicely, until we tried to blow the water out of the bottom drain. No water bubbles came up when using our 4.25hp shop vac. Could it be too old? too weak? Is it necessary to drain that line, since it is pretty far under ground? We are in the Raleigh/Durham area, so it doesn't usually get too cold. Last winter, though, we didn't close the pool, the temperature really dropped, the electricity went off for three days, the pipes froze, but amazingly they didn't burst. We thought we better try closing this year. Any ideas about the bottom drain?

Thanks,
Rebecca

I only this year bought a cyclone blower to do clients pools, for 9 years I used my 5 HP shop vac, I never got a single bubble with the shop vac. The cyclone can make a volcano. Now, my pool is plumbed with spa flex and I believe it has some give when freezing occurs, I could be wrong, but all I did, was blow the line for 5 minutes, then added antifreeze and blew for another 5 minutes, shut ball valve and left it for winter. I believe when icing occurs, as long as the ice has a way to grow up the line, then it is ok. I would trust my shop vac for my pool, but not for a clients. Once I get bubbling to occur in main drain, I then shut ball valve and immediately put in a pressure plug. If you listen, the ball valve will just allow the air to come out.

I had the same problem. I bought a cyclone blower after I saw that is what the pool company used when I called for help after my shop vac and air compressor wouldn't do the job. They charged me $300... the same price the vac is and now I can do it myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.