Switching to BBB from Bacquacil

Many filters have a combination drain which can open about 3/4 inch for draining water or about 1.5" for washing out the sand. If your's doen't have that large outer opening, then a shop vac, as Jason said, is about your only option.

All I can tell you is that it's a Purex Triton filter and it was purchased in 1995 (not by me). The manual for it is utterly useless as it offers no information regarding changing the sand. At this point I'm starting to think it's best to just buy a new filter in the spring.

Thoughts?

Newtopools said:
All I can tell you is that it's a Purex Triton filter and it was purchased in 1995 (not by me). The manual for it is utterly useless as it offers no information regarding changing the sand. At this point I'm starting to think it's best to just buy a new filter in the spring.

Thoughts?

I was in a similar situation (baqua conversion). . . had the pool guy come out to change my sand afterward. It wouldn't come out the sand drain; it was clumped up in rocklike chunks. The sand had not been changed in the seven or so years the pool had been in operation. Bill, the pool tech, added some water to the filter and poured in a gallon of muriatic. After it sat overnight, the chunks could be broken up. Of course then there was the problem of having to drain out the acid! We put down a lot of baking soda on the surrounding ground.

After the acid and sand were drained out, the remaining chunks in the sand "tank" were dumped out by turning it over. It's a mess, but it can be done!

Yep, you have to get all of the sand out through the hole in the top(possibly where the multiport attaches). You can use a shopvac to suck it out. Pretty much your only other option is to use a cup or garden trowel to scoop it all out. You MIGHT be able to tip the whole thing on its side and let some of it pour out on it's own. WARNING, the process of tipping the tank may damage the laterals.

HTH,
Adam

Thanks all. Sounds like it's really gonna be loads of fun... :cry:
Regardless I won't be doing it until the season ends anyway. As it stands right now the Cl has stayed steady, the pool is crystal clear and the wife's happy (which is all that really matters haha)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.