Replacement Pump Motor

Jun 21, 2008
Folsom, CA
Just want to make sure I have this right. I'm getting myself confused on Full-Rated vs. Up-Rated motors. I know how to calculate total horsepower. I'm just not sure which is which.

The motor is going out on my Hayward Super II pump. The current motor is labeled 1.5HP with a Service Factor of 1.33 (1.5 x 1.33 = 1.995). Is this considered a "Full-Rated" motor? And if I get an "Up-Rated" motor, do I then have to get a 2HP up-rated motor?

It also seems like up-rated motors are a bit cheaper than full rated motors. I had read that full-rated motors have more copper. Does this mean that full-rated motors last longer? Does one type of motor (assuming same total HP) use more electricity that the other?

Thanks!

-Todd

I don't know what the "upgraded" kit is.

If you get a motor with a SFHP lower than your current motor, then you will also need a smaller impeller. You will also get lower flow rates which may not be good enough for your spa/waterfall. Depends if you think the current jets are too much.

Another key point is that if you use an a lower HP motor with an impeller meant for a higher HP there is a good probability you will burn out that motor. Unless you really like replacing motors I would suggest making sure the motor and drivetrain are synced up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.