Stubborn Hand Rails - How to Remove

Jun 13, 2014
Callands, VA
For closing and covering purposes, I need to remove my handrails. Using a ratchet, I loosened the bolts on the stanchions(?). I also sprayed a generous amount of PB Blast all the way around each one where the handrail goes into the stanchion. However, after several attempts, reapplying PBB, and letting them soak for several hours, they still will not budge. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there a way to use a jack or something to help them out?

Tightening the bolts pulls wedges up inside the cup and against the rail. When you loosen the bolts, you have to tap the bolts down with a hammer to push the wedges down.

If they still won't come out, try rotating them in the cup a little as you lift. If that doesn't work, try using a rubber hammer to hammer them upward.

The coca cola idea is interesting. Last year I poured a small amount of MA around each tube and wiggled until it freed up a bit, then a little more, etc, etc until it came out.
Now my "cups" are metal and I think the dissimilar metals had issues. But the ma freed up and I flushed with clean water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOT THEM OUT! I think the only thing I was doing wrong was not tapping the bolts back down after loosening them. Common sense should have told me to do this, but sometimes determination gets in the way of common sense! Once I did that, just a little bit of effort and they came right out. Thanks JamesW for keeping me straight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.