Closing pool. Replacing return jet face plate. Help!

Oct 31, 2013
Hey

Have this style of face plate cover.

haywardthreadedfaceplatewholes.jpg

I replaced this last year due to a crack. Same problem again this year. Anyway can't get the screws to go back in. It was missing two screws and those are the ones I can't get to go in with new screws. Tried using a hammer and a screw driver with a self tapping screw to sort of drill a bigger hole. It just goes down so far without making any more progress. Does anyone know what would be behind the liner so I know what I'm trying to screw into? It's suppose to get to freezing temperatures here soon so I need to get this fixed ASAP so I can close the pool.

Where there fours screws in it when you replaced it last time ? Maybe the screws are broke off in the wall stopping the new ones from going in all the way. Shouldn't be anything else there to stop the screws from going in I would think unless something has shifted. ?

Well figured out the problem. Two of the screws had the head break off. I was able to get one out pretty easily. The other might prove to be a little bit more of a pain in the ***.

That's what I was thinking. Well at least you figured it out. I know they make bolt extractors, not sure they make one small enough.
Needle nose pliers if you can get a hold of the end of one. ?

Yeah I used some channel locks to get the one. The other is dug in there just barely anything to grab once you get behind the liner. I just blew out the lines again with 3 screws in. It seems to be holding well enough. I'm going to watch for bubbles for a bit.

The first year I lived here (3rd time closing the pool this year) the guy that did it cracked my face plates tightening down the plugs too much. When I pulled the plugs in the summer no air came out. I started freaking out figuring I would have a ton of concrete to bust open but it turned out alright. I'm thinking if worse comes to worse and some water gets in I might skate by. Every year I pull the plugs almost no air comes out so I think water just always finds a way in.

That's the thing, it's a pretty small screw diameter wise. I would have a hard time even getting the drill bit to line up if I had perfect working conditions. I would be hanging over the pool and would have to drain it below the return jet which is tough because the previous owner got rid of the floor drain when they re did the liner. It's possible to drain it but I did it last year before I knew they sold gaskets for the return jets and it was a huge hack getting the skimmer with the cleaning vacuum hose to suck it from the bottom of the pool. I kept waiting for the pump to lose its prime and be totally screwed.

Owning a pool is like owning a boat. The best two days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Yeah that was my first thought...well what I would recommend to most people. It's basically just a little bigger than a sheet rock screw. I don't think they make bits or easy outs that small and with the time clock I'm on it's not likely an option. The good news is I haven't seen any bubbles...yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Also thanks for the replies. Especially Jeff. That helped me think outside the box for a minute and get it figured out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have used them on #4 screw heads without an issue, just be patient and get a good drill bit to make the starting hole.

I am thinking 3 will hold it fine until spring. Then do it when you can get in the water (With beer in hand in case its extra sunny out)

I like the way you think. Beer makes any job better.

Might work then. Although I'm not sure it will be fun I bet I can make it work come spring. Any idea if a drill will take damage being underwater? My drill is double insulated like most tools so I won't get shocked. I just don't want to ruin my brand new drill when I attempt it. I can drain the pool if necessary but it's quite the pain. Plus I don't want to stretch the liner if I can avoid it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.