First time poster with heater questions

ScottJ

Bronze Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Pearl River, Louisiana
First time poster hoping to not make a mistake.

Re: Jandy LX heater

Since our pool was constructed in 2006, we have never had a heater. I really never thought about getting one. Recently, a friend installed a pool and received a heater as part of the package deal. He says the heater would not work for him and he gave it to me.

Although Im very greatfull for the heater, I don't think it will work for me either. I'm asking for your opinion.

My fuel source is Propane. I think this unit uses Natural Gas. Can it be converted to propane?

During my limited investigation, it appears that this heater is not to be used for Salt water. Is there one made for SW?

I cant find any model or serial number other than Jandy LX. Is there a secret panel that provide more detailed info?

Thanks for reading and look foward to replies and suggestion.

Scott
S. Louisiana

Don't fall for the hype about buying a special heater for a salt pool. It's just that, hype. As long as you maintain your chemicals you can use the heater. As for the conversion, yes you can convert it. You need to convert the gas valve and replace the orifices out for ones that are for propane. Propane orifices have a smaller hole in them.

^^^What he said...on both counts.

I've known people who have converted to a salt pool using their existing heater without any issues. Just continue maintaining proper water chemistry.

On the heater, the main conversion item is the orifices. I have converted grills and ovens from NG to propane and vice-versa. Replacing the orifices was the main task. You may need to replace the regulator as well - check your owners manual or the heater manufacturer's web site.

Here's the manual: http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/jandylxltpoolheater-manual.pdf

Part numbers for the propane gas orifaces. Depends on your altitude.

17 Nat. Orifice (0-3K ft) (Set of 20) All R0327900
17 Nat. Orifice (3K-6K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328000
17 Nat. Orifice (6K-9K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328100
17 LP Orifice (0-5K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328200
17 LP Orifice (5K-10K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328300

Here's the manual: http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/jandylxltpoolheater-manual.pdf

Part numbers for the propane gas orifaces. Depends on your altitude.

17 Nat. Orifice (0-3K ft) (Set of 20) All R0327900
17 Nat. Orifice (3K-6K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328000
17 Nat. Orifice (6K-9K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328100
17 LP Orifice (0-5K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328200
17 LP Orifice (5K-10K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328300

Wow,

Thanks for that info. Now I have to ask because I don't want to assume, is a Laars LX250 and a Jandy LX250 the same machine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know what spring you need for this valve but I'll make a general statement - I've found that the smaller hardware stores, like Ace, have a much better selection of springs than the big-box stores.

Actually you need a spring for a gas valve. If you look up your valve part number, you should find a LP version of the spring. If someone doesn't feel comfortable replacing the spring, then you could go the more expensive route and replace the entire valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.