Low PH level

Knarf

Apr 18, 2007
Orland Park, Il
I have been running a low PH for most of this season (mostly between 7.0 and 7.2). What are the negative effects of running a low PH? I will probably put in some borax tonight to raise it to the 7.4-7.6 level, but just currious if running it low can cause any permanent/temporary damgage.

Thanks in advance

As long as the PH is always at least 7.0 there shouldn't be any damage to the pool or equipment. The risk in being right around 7.0 is that you can easily go lower.

Many people have eye irritation when the PH is below 7.2. Everyone is differernt, so it may not bother you.

I have one of the recommended test kits (K-2005), but it only goes as low as 7.0, so I'm really not sure how low it is or was, but recently my son complained of eye irritation so I will definitely raise it today, but how do you get accurate PH readings below 7.0?

Thanks Again

Some of the PH tests go down to 6.8, actually your test works down to 6.8 if you know what color to look for. To read lower than that you need a different, not swimming pool, PH test kit.

Generally, instead of knowing the exact PH, you just raise the PH by about 0.4 and see where that gets you.

Actually I gave you the wrong test kit # mine is K-2006 and my PH tube only goes down to 7.0 and since It's never a perfect match it makes me wonder if I'm at 7.1 or 6.8 or less. But I guess it may be irrelevant because if it's that low I should raise it anyway like you said.

Thanks for the help.

What is your TA and what kind of chlorine are you using? (I suspect that constant low pH means you are using trichlor). A full set of test results would be helpful.

I got my PH up (using PH-Up from the pool store) to 7.4, so for the time being I'm ok. I almost exclusively use bleach to chlorinate except when I went on my recent 10 day vacation (I "shocked with bleach and floated several pucks). Not only was the pool crystal clear when I came back but I still had a lot of FC (over 10).

For the record my current numbers are as follows:

PH 7.4
FC 5.0
TC 5.0
CYA 35
TA 100

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.