1st sand filter deep clean, Standpipe and laterals came up with multiport. HELP!

melbajr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2013
Florence, SC
I unscrewed the multiport and lifted it off when I noticed that the Standpipe and laterals came up with it. Seems the standpipe was inserted approx. 5 inches into the multiport and snuggly fitted to it as well. Is it possible to prevent this from happening next time? Shorten pipe maybe?

I ask because now I'm hoping there's a way to reinsert standpipe/laterals without removing the sand?:confused: If not, what would be the easiest way to remove and return the sand? Or should i just go ahead and replace it?

The laterals were not all facing vent side up as I expected. Does it matter? I hadn't planned on removing these but since they came out anyway I just unscrewed the laterals and removed all of it.

Also, upon inspection and cleaning I noticed salt in the laterals. Is this normal? I couldn't wash it out with the hose and it's stuck to the vented side but not the solid side of each lateral. It isn't a lot but i could grab some pipe cleaners. (the brown bit is decomposing leaf)
IMG_0222.jpg

1. you will have to remove all of the sand. Sand is cheap so I would discard the old sand and replace it. I am surprized that it came out in one piece.
2. Salt is soluble so I doubt that you would see salt crystals on the laterals. This could be small pieces of matter from the sand that came with the filter, or something in the area.

This one is slightly out of my area of knowledge, but I'm going to guess it doesn't matter. All sides of the lateral are submerged and under the same pressure.

Plus, since they're threaded (did I read that correctly?), you may not get a choice. They snug up tight where they snug up tight, and the laterals will have to just stay that way.

...I'm going to guess it doesn't matter. All sides...are submerged and under the same pressure.

...you may not get a choice. They snug up tight where they snug up tight...

I was thinking that if the vents were up it would help since gravity pulls the water down. It sounds like you're saying that the pressure in the tank negates gravity, is that right?

Snugging up is probably why it was like that anyway but if the direction mattered I have some self-fusing waterproof tape.

I have learned so much from this website and you, thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The tank is hydrostatically full and under pressure, so it doesn't rely on gravity to flow. The water is forced down through the sand and follows the path of least resistance through the laterals and back to the pool. I would think the slots should be down so sand isn't laying directly on them, but I don't really know if it matters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.