Water on Pool Cover

Oct 25, 2014
Princeton, NJ
Hi, I am new to pool maintenance so this is probably a pretty basic question. I had my pool maintenance guy close the pool about 4 weeks ago. Should I be pumping water off the cover? There is quite a lot, see picture. If yes, how often should I do that and what about snow?

Thanks,

Josh

IMG_20141025_131829_008.jpgIMG_20141025_131829_008.jpg

You need a sump pump. I have this one, that triggers at about 2.5 inches of water and dumps max 500 g/hr; for the small surface area of my endless pool, I could be happy with a smaller one that triggers in more shallow depth, but, that means it would run more frequently. However it was lovely to have for my spa clean-out 2 weeks ago. ;)

Looks like its the same cover I have and yes, I pump the water off of mine. This is the pump that I have for mine:

http://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Lit...paign=577301&gclid=CNaO6KfPy8ECFSgS7AodfgMAkA

Works great. Its made of some pretty thick plastic too, because I forgot to take mine off before one of the snow storms last winter. Once the snow melted and refroze, it was encased in a block of ice. I was worried it was going to crack, but to my surprise, it was perfectly fine. I wouldn't recommend leaving it out there in snow and ice though.

I have a rule cover pump, same type that came with my autocover. Original lasted 3 years and replaced with one off of eBay. Works great. But yes, no doubt, if it is holding water like that it needs to be pumped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a shop vac yesterday. I could not believe how much water I sucked off. Vac holds 16 gallons and I emptied it at least two dozen times. I will be in the market for a pump soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.