Can I use this relay for my SuperFlo 1HP?

Trying to figure out my wiring and I think this is my thinking and plan. (Yes, I think this is my thinking.)

I only need high speed for the heater and can filter on low speed. I can have my heatpump (HP727 Control Board http://www.viconics.com/DATA/TEXTEDOC/HP727-04.pdf ) control the high/low switch with a relay and my Intermatic t104 control the total daily pump run time (unless the pool needs heat at which time the heat pump will turn the high side on). How does this look?

View attachment 33568

I was thinking I'd set the filter time to 4 hours but since the pump will run high speed whenever it wants to provide heat I should be able to set it to the minimum (2hr) and let it run at low speed otherwise. The I set the low speed on the Intermatix T104 and it runs for a set amount of time each day. Questions. Does this look correct? Will this relay work? ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNECRAFT-...984?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b66bf728 ) If not what should I get? Anything I'm forgetting? It is 3am and a baby is crying.

Thanks,
Richard

Is that relay inside the Heat Pump really a SPDT relay or are you adding that relay? If that runs the heat pump too, that will not be enough amperage. It may not be enough for the pump either.

Even though the SuperFlo is only 6A, you need a relay that can withstand the start up current of an induction motor which is several times the rated amperage. The T104 is rated at 40 amps and I would go with a relay that is at least that large or choose a relay that is specifically designed for an induction motor. My concern is that relay may not last very long but it is something you could research.

Also, normally the T104 relay comes before the SPDT relay for the low/high switching so both speeds have a single on/off timer control. The heat pump can still control the high/low relay as you have shown.

The relay I had selected is a 20amp at 240v and from my understanding a 6amp pump will require up to 3 times the amperage at startup. The recommended breaker is 20amp so I'm thinking the relay should be adequate as well at 20 amp. The problem with hooking the high and low through the T104 is the heater checks the pool temp every 4 hours by turning the pump on for 15 minutes. If the water is below temp it runs to maintain temperature. If there is no flow (T104 off) then there will be a flow error requiring the heat pump to be reset the next morning. Something I'm getting tired of with the current setup.

I have considered placing the heat pump on the timer as well and doing the T104/T106 setup. I'm not certain if it would be better for the pool to lose temp overnight and have the heatpump run when the air temp and sun are up or if it is more efficient to maintain the temp overnight.

I did consider the RIB relays and may go that route. The only added benefit I could find is I would avoid placing spade terminals on all but two wires. Am I missing something on these relays?

As far as the wiring goes, do this look legit or am I missing something big?

Thanks for the input, this is all very helpful.

The specs for the relay linked to in the first post says it is rated for a 1 HP motor when used at 240 volts, so that should be alright.

Your wiring diagram leaves the L1/common connection to the pump live at all times. This is not preferred, though it is allowed and is done sometimes.

It is slightly more efficient to not run the heater at night, as long as there is enough time for it to catch up during the day. However, the difference is small. The largest disadvantage of this approach is that the pool won't be up to temperature in the morning, as it will have some catching up to do to get back to temperature.

Without looking at the detailed specs this does look logically correct, I used a RIB 2401SBC for a similar application (turnning pump up to high for my solar heater when the solar heater switched on) , the RIB relay is mounted on a spare knock out on my solar controller box and one of the switches on it allows me to manually switch the pump to high even with the solar is off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.