Looking for equipment fence with no footing needed

Jan 28, 2014
Buckeye AZ
Due to limited space in the side yard where the equipment is, here is what I would like:
A 5-6 foot high fence/trellis/barrier. It would come out from the house about 6 feet, then turn 90 degrees and run parallel to the house about, oh, 15-20 feet. This would put the barrier right up against the pipes, etc.

HOWEVER,
I need to get in there occasionally to clear the pump filter, backwash or disassemble filter, access controls, etc. So I would like this whole fence to be in sections that can be fairly easily unhooked and moved out of the way.

I don't want footings because a) any fence with footings means getting a permit, and b) clearing the underground pool returns would cost me another two feet or so of yard space.

We get some good wind speed in the monsoon so something with a sand base, water base, or maybe a planter base? On big lockable casters?

Anyway, I can't find what I'm looking for. Short of getting out my miter saw and galvanized screws, is there any system out there that looks/works like this?

Where are you located and some photos of the area you want to install this barrier might be very helpful for good ideas on what to try.

here is a pic from construction. the wall would start at the corner of the house and go to the right, then straight back to where the hvac condenser is. We wanted synthetic grass back here, so hoping to minimize the obstruction.

DSC_5134_zpsd62e677b.jpg

This might be hard for me to explain but I'll give it a try...

Use 2" galvanized pipe, the first one set off the corner of the house just past the PVC piping. It would stand on a concrete block buried in the ground, attached to it with a pipe flange mounted on the surface of it closest to the PVC. The top of this pipe would have two other pipes attached to it with an offset 90' tee. One would go back to the house and be attached to the house with a flange. The other pipe would go over to the next post mounted the same way. The bottom of the pipes would also be attached to one another with a pipe. This would go for two or three sections. Then wooden fence sections (matching what can be seen in the picture) would be built to the length of each section. The back side of the fence sections would have heavy duty J-hooks mounted upside down. They would hang on the upper and lower horizontal pipe sections. They would just lift on and off. This would not be cheap as you would want to use the heavy duty 2" (my guess) galvanized pipe to make it substantial and firm. You may need to make an angled brace back to the house for each upright to provide lateral support. I can picture that this type of construction could be quite sturdy. Not sure if you think so or if it would be an appealing option.

This may end up being too much and therefore require a permit but the base could be made somewhat more "temporary" looking so long as it is still solid. Attachment to the house would be key for my thoughts.

Buried concrete block is a great idea, very original.

Another alternative might be buried deck blocks. They are square concrete pads that are tapered down from about a foot square to enough to fit a 6 x 6 post strap on. You could easily put the pipe flange on the deck block (also buried) and the taper would keep it from trying to lift up during winds.

Hm, I might modify that idea. some heavy planter bases with 4x4 treated lumber coming up out of the planter. Some sort of cross pipe to the next planter/pole. I like the upside-down hook idea. I could buy preassembled fence sections and just attach hooks to the back side. I'll have to check about attachment to the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.