Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metal stains at the same locations

1. Back To Top    #1

Metal stains at the same locations

I get metal stains at the same spots in my fiberglass pool every few weeks. When I apply ascorbic acid, the stains disappear completely and the surface looks perfectly white again but when I run my hand over the area I can feel some roughness. What happened was the pool was put in last fall, winter/snow came before electrical was hooked up, the pool was filled with water, there were lots of leaves and dirts in it. The PB covered the pool with a large tarp. In the spring the PB was able to get the swamp back to crystal clear without changing the water. Before the tarp was put on I remember I used my hand to wipe away some stains(didn't know what kind of stain that was at that time) at one area on the pool wall, so now the area that I wiped stays stain free but right next to it the metal stains always start to form because of the roughness, I tried scrubing with a brush but didn't help. Other than this minor issue my pool is stunning with sparkling water.
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Metal stains at the same locations

If you could post a full set of test results we could better advise you. Metal sequesterants are helpful at preventing stains from returning, as are maintaining your CH and PH levels in a recommended range for fiberglass.

Welcome
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I suggest adding some sequestrant.

There will always be some spot that stains first. If it wasn't there it would be somewhere else. If the roughness doesn't bother you otherwise I wouldn't worry about that spot.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are the numbers for my fiberglass pool:

Salt level: 3200
    FC: 2
    TA: 100
    TH: 250
    PH: 7.7
    CYA: 60

We have an automatic pool cover, most of the time the cover is closed, we use the pool about 4 times a week, 3-4 hours each, the chlorinator is set at 20%.
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.