Chlorine above 100 ppm

Aug 16, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have created quite a mess with my 225 gallon hot tub :drown:.

The SWG stopped working, so I inserted an old SWG from my above ground pool. After a few days I tested the water using the Taylor K-1000 test kit. The TC turned orange, with suspended "clots" and the pH turned bright purple. I reduced the SWG run time from 12 hours a day to 6 hours a day. I added 2 tablespoons of ph minus, but the pH test remained bright purple. I had to travel for a week and when I returned there was rust forming on the nozzles. I performed a Chlorine Drop Test and Total Alkalinity test using the TF-100 kit.

TC > 100 ppm
TA 0 ppm

Please help! :drown:

Also, if you do use an SWG (a properly sized one for your spa) you need to add CYA in the water, otherwise the active chlorine level will be too strong. In any event with your very high FC level the chlorine was corrosive to the metal in your spa. I'm not sure how the TA got to 0, however, and that also implies the pH get to 4.5 or below.

I'm guessing that the TA is probably not a good reading due to the high fc. Since it's such a small volume, the easiest way to recover is probably starting over with fresh water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.