Need Help Recommending a Cartridge Filter

twowhlrcr

Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2011
Goodyear, AZ
Good evening Guys, I have a 16,500 gallon in-ground pool. Backwashing my sand filter is a pain in the rear because I have to run the hose all the way to the front yard and use the sewer clean outs (which of course are hidden under bushes) . Because of that, I want to switch to a cartridge style filter because I heard that they don't need backwashed, just clean the filters about 4 times per year. I have a 1 1/2 HP single speed pump (which I will be addressing in a separate thread).

First, can you let me know if the lack of backwashing is true? Second, what cartridge filter would you recommend for my set up. If you need more info, please let me know. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

The frequency of cleaning is dependent on your debris load, how well you maintain the chemistry (if you get algae, you will be hating that cartridge filter), and the size of the filter you buy.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you ... my filter recommendation might be different if you have a 3 month season vs leaving the pool open year round.

Generally with cartridges, the bigger the better. For your size pool, I would say 225 sqft would be good, bigger being better in that you will have to clean it less often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.