Using Chlorine gas

pack66

Jun 17, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Split by moderator from HERE. Please always start your own thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Sorry to necro this thread, but I have a question on the use of Chlorine gas and it's effects on pump seals. I had my seals replaced about three months ago and they're going out again. When I contacted the guy who did the work prior to moving in to the house, he said it was because I used a company that used Chlorine gas instead of powdered Chlorine. He said he would look at the seals, but would charge me if there was an indication that the gas was what ruined the seals. Is this guy full of it, or should I move on to a different cleaning company in Tucson?

I think this guy is full of it. I also think you should fire the pool company and maintain it yourself ;) The water will be much nicer.

I used to have one of the 2 companies that use the chlorine gas. No seal problems. But, never liked the huge swing in chlorine levels when they try to only come once every 2 weeks. And every week is not too much better.

I think it depends on how the people using chlorine gas were adding it to the pool. When chlorine gas dissolves in the water, this is very acidic so low in pH in the area where this occurs. While after mixing in the pool water with good circulation there should be no issues, if for some reason they added the gas into or very near the skimmer instead of in a bubbler in the deep end of the pool then that could be a problem.

Also, if the chlorine gas were used and the pH of the pool not balanced for the acidity, then the pH of the pool could have gotten too low and that could damage equipment. For every 10 ppm FC added by chlorine gas, the TA drops by 14 ppm after accounting for chlorine usage/consumption. So baking soda would need to be added to maintain the TA and if that TA were not maintained then the pH could get quite low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.