Taking the plunge!

Dawn Patrol 7:00am Tuesday - Readings this morning were good CL 6 PH 7.4 and most of the foam was gone. It is hard to see in the pictures but I can now see about a foot or so down the sides - terrible in any other context but here it shows that there is much less Crud in the water than there was last night. I added another 32oz cal-hypo to bring the cl back up to 12. Should get my test kit today to find out what is really going on.

[attachment=2:1u6n99ua]DSCF0189.JPG[/attachment:1u6n99ua]

[attachment=1:1u6n99ua]DSCF0190.JPG[/attachment:1u6n99ua]

After adding the Cal-Hypo (pix below, I got a much more sedate reaction - it still turned milky white and rapidly spread out but it was not violent like lady night. Hopefully that means there is less active junk for it to kill.

[attachment=0:1u6n99ua]DSCF0191.JPG[/attachment:1u6n99ua]

[attachment=0:1u6n99ua]DSCF0191.JPG[/attachment:1u6n99ua]

I'm going to back off to a couple of hours between tests this morning and if the levels continue to hold up, to 4 hours or so. I have been babysitting this pool almost continuously for the last 36 hours and I do need to get some other things done.

Attachments

• DSCF0189.JPG
    DSCF0189.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 521
  • DSCF0190.JPG
    DSCF0190.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 515
  • DSCF0191.JPG
    DSCF0191.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 515
9:00am - CL 12 PH 7.6

Have held this lever for a couple of hours - pool still looks like 7am pix but a few more inches of the sides are appearing out of the gloom. Spent the last hour going to the recycle bins with a truck full of clorox jugs. Will test again at 11 but not likely to do much if the CL is still up there - my cheapie test kit is just giving approximations above 3.0 and my dilutions may be introducing innacuracies. I expect my good kit sometime today (DHL says it is on the truck) so I can get accurate readings once it arrives. I will post some more pictures once the pool looks enough different to see in a photo.

4PM reading is

FC 3.5
CC 5
TC 8.5

Will be adding 28oz cal-hypo - the CH was at 400 (per my pool store) when last tested about a month ago (actually, they sold me stuff to raise it to that level) I'll be vacuuming this crus to waste over the next week or so and replacing the water - hopefully, that will help bring CH down. Thanks for the concern, I appreciate it.

7 o'clock news.....

FC 8.5
CC 6
PH 7.4

Ok, the FC is finally starting to hold up and a remarkable transformation is starting in the pool. I can faintly see the bottom in the shallow end (see the steps below). The character of the water is changing from "Nasty" looking to "Clear" with particles in it.

[attachment=1:hptfenvd]DSCF0196.JPG[/attachment:hptfenvd]

[attachment=0:hptfenvd]DSCF0197.JPG[/attachment:hptfenvd]

Things are clearing up and I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Attachments

• DSCF0196.JPG
    DSCF0196.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 435
  • DSCF0197.JPG
    DSCF0197.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 434
Readings at 7:00am 8/20

FC 6
CC 7
TC 13
PH 7.2
TA 90
CH 390

Added 32oz cal-hypo

12:00 noon

FC 10
CC 4.5
TC 14.5

Added 16oz cal-hypo

We're starting to stabilize a bit - the pool looks much better today and I had to go back to making a living - hence the abbreviated reports.

[attachment=1:1de8o91y]DSCF0199.JPG[/attachment:1de8o91y]

Getting less green and fewer particulates visible.

[attachment=0:1de8o91y]DSCF0200.JPG[/attachment:1de8o91y]

Vacuumed to waste last night and added water (note the slightly lower CH). Looks like we just have to wait and watch - it feels kinda like having my first born sleep through the night.

Attachments

• DSCF0199.JPG
    DSCF0199.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 385
  • DSCF0200.JPG
    DSCF0200.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 386

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for your support - this has been a stressful 3 days but as you can see below, we have definately turned the corner.

[attachment=1:11b8soz0]DSCF0201.JPG[/attachment:11b8soz0]

[attachment=0:11b8soz0]DSCF0202.JPG[/attachment:11b8soz0]

I had to work today - the 6am readings were FC 3, CC 0 and TC 3. I had my wife add 16 oz cal-hypo every 2 hours.

When I got home at 4pm, readings were FC 8, CC 2.5 and TC 10.5

We're getting there!

Attachments

• DSCF0201.JPG
    DSCF0201.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF0202.JPG
    DSCF0202.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 298
Rich,

Great work! I would suggest you start to add the majority of your FC at night. Without CYA in the pool, the sun is burning up a lot of your chlorine. Heretofore, the Baqua was consuming it so fast the sun had little effect.

You can do it a thousand ways but this is a very workable schedule. Bring the FC up to 10ppm or a little more just as soon as the sun is off the pool. Then before you go to bed, test and bring it back to that same level again. The next AM (as early as you can stand it) test and bring it up again.

Then leave it alone during the day. That'll conserve chlorine.

Very soon, you will be adding very little FC in the morning. That's when I'd get the sand ready and plan on changing it out. Once your overnite FC loss is down to 1.0 or less, I'd change out the sand and your conversion is virtually complete. Hold your FC up aropund 10ppm for another day or so after that and you'll be finished.

If you choose to add your CYA through a hanging sock, you can start that now. If you decide to add it thru the skimmer, be sure to wait until you change the sand as you can't backwash (for about a week) if you add thru the skimmer.

The pics are terrific and I'm sure you're encouraging lots of bagua folks to give it a try.

Please review the "Conversion" article up in "Pool School".....this last bit may be slower than you like but just keep the chlorine up there and keep the pump running.....you're very close.

Thanks Dave, It is really worth the effort. All the years I messed with this thing and in all that time, the pool rarely looked much better than it does now. I'm really excited to see how it will look when the task is done.

I'll be getting some CYA and sand this Saturday so it will be ready. Too bad I just changed the sand a month ago trying to help knock down the algae. Live and learn.

Your help and encouragement is very much appreciated.

Just think Cmtpres, next year you wont have to deal with this. You can just open the pool and jump in !! This has been absolutely amazing to watch.The wife has even been watching and she doesnt get on the forum very much at all !!

Great job :!: :!: :goodjob: :goodjob:

algaeh8er said:
Wow! Your pool is really starting to look good. This thread has been fascinating. I cant wait to see the bottom of your pool. :)

Me TOO! :mrgreen:

Keep the pics com'in!

Friday morning 8:30am FC 9, CC 2, TC 11

Nothing added since 8pm last night and we onlt lost 2ppm of FC so we're getting closer. Unfortumately, I have to work today but that will help me stay on the schedule Dave suggested. I topped up level this morning and will not retest until I get home from work around 7PM.

[attachment=1:1dub9zh9]DSCF0203.JPG[/attachment:1dub9zh9]

[attachment=0:1dub9zh9]DSCF0204.JPG[/attachment:1dub9zh9]

Sorry about fewer pix the last few days but the changes are much more gradual and nowhere near as exciting as the first few days.

Attachments

• DSCF0203.JPG
    DSCF0203.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCF0204.JPG
    DSCF0204.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 187

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.