Yardoasis's Replaster Thread

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
Starting a new thread to chronicle the replaster job.

The back story is that I had a new pool built this year (2014) but with a bad plaster job. Stains were appearing all over the plaster two months in. I did everything I could to identify the stains: the vitamin C tablet test ruled out metal stains, and running negative CSI also ruled out scaling. I had the plaster tested at a professional cement lab, and test results came back with 2.7% calcium chloride content by volume, significantly exceeding the national plaster standards.

Here are some threads if you want to go deeper into the back story (pics included):
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75741-Passed-SLAM-tests-still-seeing-plaster-stains
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/76654-Gray-mottling-problem

The pool guys come tomorrow to start the job:

Step 1 is to drain the pool.
Step 2 is to remove the original plaster.
Step 3 is to apply a bonding agent on the bare gunite and leave for at least 24 hours.
Step 4 is to apply the new plaster, this time without calcium chloride. Weather forecast is sunny to partly cloudy, temps in the 80s/60s with moderate humidity.
Step 5 is to start filling with water from the hose/tap about 4 hours after the plaster is installed, will take 24-36 hours to complete the fill.

The last step is to maintain the chemicals post plaster install & post-fill (most important thing to do is not allow the pH to exceed 7.8 for at least 3 weeks, requiring a lot of acid). I told the pool builder that I will take responsibility for the chemicals part.

Tomorrow, I will make another post in this thread after I discuss everything with the PB in detail. I will report back on what the PB plans to do, and if you see a flaw in our plans, PLEASE BY ALL MEANS TELL ME ASAP so I can relay it back to the PB so we modify our plans. I will be relying on your help and feedback.

Thank you all!

A different guy from the PB came this morning. Not the same person I talked to before, and he said he will investigate why the plaster job went wrong the first time (?). I thought we were past that. He said the plaster crew would come this morning to start the replaster job, but they are late. He said the crews would be here an hour ago, and they're still not here.

I don't have a good feeling about this. :(

EDIT: They just arrived, and are about to drain the pool. I called the PB and asked who is supposed to supervise the crews, and she said they know what they are supposed to do, and that they have an office manager on top of my pool issues. Ok, that's a little reassuring... but I don't like that the guy I talked to previously is no longer with the PB.

They are cutting the existing plaster now. It seems like it's going to take a while, though.

In the meantime, I wanted to know how I should start up the pool after the fill. I'm responsible for the chemicals post-fill, so my questions are:

1. Since the TA of my fill water is 190 and CH is 150, I was told by onbalance to keep the TA at 200 for 3 weeks, while keeping the pH at 7.6-7.8.

Will I be needing to add acid every day? Baking soda? It seems like with such a high TA, it will be difficult to keep the pH down, and also difficult to keep the TA up while adding acid. How do I balance this?

2. When, how many days after fill, do I start adding stabilizer? Bleach? Or can I use trichlor tabs to bring FC and CYA up while helping keep the pH down?

3. When do I start running the pump? And how long to run it for? And how many days will it take to my regular 7-8 hour/day pump schedule?

4. When should I start using the Polaris vacuum cleaner? How many days after fill?

5. What if leaves fall in during this critical time? Just scoop it up with a net, or what?

Today is the big day. Replastering the pool as I type - and I'm watching them!

Some pictures of the removal of the original plaster and the application of a bonding agent:

ADF392D9-A2B0-4B87-8F94-96BA8C764E8A.jpg

Draining the pool...

98049A6C-3A79-4637-B1ED-59A81D57EF41.jpg

Still draining...

15AD61E8-350A-4230-BF37-5FD905D9D0A0.jpg

The plaster discoloration REALLY shows when not under water...

D0B2FB10-6289-41EF-846C-8156B74F8368.jpg

Ready to replaster...

With onBalance's help (big thankful shout out to you!), I created a schedule of daily tasks for myself to conduct a proper startup after filling the pool, starting today (Thursday). I'll take additional pics along the way.

“Bicarb” Startup Schedule

Day 0 - Today:
- Fill 6+ hours after plaster is complete
- Add 13 lbs baking soda to round TA up to 250 (using PoolMath and my tap water's chemistry numbers)
- Test pH and add acid to adjust down to 7.6
- Run pump 24/7

Day 1 - Friday:
- Continue 24/7 pump run time
- Test pH and add acid to adjust down to 7.6, allow TA to drift down over time
- Brush 2x day

Day 2 - Saturday:
- Continue 24/7 pump run time
- Start chlorinator and add trichlor pucks 48 hours after fill
- Brush 2x day

Day 3 - Sunday:
- Continue 24/7 pump run time, refill chlorinator if needed
- Brush 2x day
- Test CH and raise to 200 ppm if needed

Days 4-7 (Monday-Thursday):
- Reduce pump run time to 10 hours a day, refill chlorinator if needed
- Add 1 cup acid daily
- Brush 2x day

Week 2:
1 week after fill, put Polaris vacuum cleaner in and schedule it to run 2 hours a day
- Reduce pump run time to 6 hours a day, refill chlorinator if needed
- Adjust pH daily to keep it 7.6-7.8
- Brush 2x day

Week 3:
- Refill trichlor pucks as needed
- Maintain pH 7.6-7.8
- Stop brushing 2x day, and only brush once a week

Week 4 and beyond:
- Start maintaining CSI as close to 0 as possible
- Switch to bleach, and adjust CYA levels if needed

Looking good. I would avoid using the automatic cleaner for many months and just scoop up the leaf debris with a deep net and brush small debris toward the drain. You'll probably have to manually vacuum after a couple of weeks. Hopefully the pool builder will give some guidance on that. I'm sure they will ask you to brush the surface regularly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool about 3/4 full, still filling. But this morning, when it was halfway, I added about 5 lbs of baking soda to raise TA and about 1/2 quart of muriatic acid (both pre-diluted) to knock the pH down to 7.6-7.7.

I will repeat this step once the pool is full, and then start running the pump/filter. I'm doing it this way because I don't have a 55 gallon drum needed for a bicarb start up.

When the pH is under 7.8, I will add CH to the pool when it is full to get it up to 200. Right now it's between 75 and 125. I don't want to overshoot 200 ppm for CH, so I will raise it in divided doses and test each time.

Pool filled since yesterday around noon-ish. Added more baking soda to top TA off at 250 ppm, and added some acid to keep pH below 8.

pH climbed to 8.2 over night, however... so I added another quart of acid.

I'll be out of town later today through tomorrow night, so I am adding trichlor pucks and turned on the chlorinator 24 hours early. Three reasons for this, one to keep pH down, and other to keep algae at bay, and third, its a way to add CYA over time.

I'm gonna try to turn the jets downward to keep aeration down.

photo8.jpg

Been away a few days, so wife took care of the pool... brushing 2x day and acid dosing. Tested the chemicals when I got back, looking good so far, I think:

FC: 3
CC: 0
CYA: <10 (a little cloudy but dot still easily visible when tube filled to brim)
pH: 7.8
TA: 210 (been steadily dropping from a starting point of 260)
CH: 125

According to Pool Math, I need to add 8 lbs of calcium chloride to increase CH to 200. I added only half that last night. Will retest tonight, and add the other half if necessary.

Day 8 update:

FC: 1
CC: 0
CYA: ~0-10 (very little)
pH: 7.9 (added 2 cups acid after testing)
TA: 190
CH: 175

CSI has been between 0.2 and 0.7 for the past 8 days. I also started with the polaris vacuum cleaner to pick up dust and debris. Been brushing twice a day and I'm hardly seeing any plaster dust anymore.

Only 6 more days of brushing 2x/day... I hate brushing!

Since I reduced my pump run time to 7 hours a day, I cranked up the chlorinator (with trichlor tabs) to the maximum setting to get some FC and CYA in there quicker. After next week or two, I will reduce pump run time to four hours a day.

I will send in a new plaster sample to have it tested early next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.