Hurricane preparation

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
Well it looks like we might get hit by a hurricane Tuesday into Wednesday. I am looking for suggestions for preparing an ingorund pool for a hurricane.

One suggestion I can recall is to lower the water level in the pool by 12" or so.

Another item I thought of is to dump a jug of bleach in the pool to raise the FC before the storm hits.

Any other suggestions?

I wouldn't lower the water. Overflowing doesn't hurt a pool, but the very high groundwater you'll get can float a pool if the water in the pool is low. I think there is a post someplace about this. If you expect the yard to flood, I'd disconnect the pump and put it someplace it won't get wet. Otherwise, minimize the things that can blow into the pool, raise your chlorine level and run the filter as long as you can.

Looks like it will just be a tropical storm at the 5 pm update and it's drifting west according to several of the models now. (However, one model has it hitting FL, moving across to the Atlantic and then moving west again to hit the east coast! Just goes to prove that hurricane predicting is ANYTHING but an exact science! :shock: )
Best think to do is secure anything that might blow or become a missile. Believe it or not, patio furnature is often best sunk in the pool if it cant be put in a sheltered area so it does not blow. (Just make sure it's waterproof!)

Make sure you have a full tank of gas, extra chlorine and plenty of beer in case the electricity goes out after the storm!

Don't worry too much about preparing the pool before other than securing anything that will blow. You will have plenty of time to clean up everything after it's over! :shock: :mrgreen:

I am not too worried about the level of ground water. My subdivision is built on an old orange grove. These are always planted on top of sandy hills. I can look out my front window and see at a the same level, the top of the roof of the house across the street. In fact one of my major landscaping problems is retaining enough moisture in the ground!

Yes we intent to bring in everything that is not glued down. I am even going to lay our concrete fountain on it's side.

The eight pm advisory still shows the same track up the west coast of Florida.

dschlic1 said:
I am not too worried about the level of ground water. My subdivision is built on an old orange grove. These are always planted on top of sandy hills. I can look out my front window and see at a the same level, the top of the roof of the house across the street. In fact one of my major landscaping problems is retaining enough moisture in the ground!

Yes we intent to bring in everything that is not glued down. I am even going to lay our concrete fountain on it's side.

The eight pm advisory still shows the same track up the west coast of Florida.

That's me, Tampa Bay here. Worried about my AG...we just got it the end of June. My Dad joked around saying, "why don't you wait until hurricane season is over?" I'll never hear the end of it now if something happens to my pool....... :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.