Draining a closed pool later in winter after heavy rains... Yes? No? How?

FailedChemistry

Jul 4, 2013
St Louis, Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys, i've got a question in preparation for this coming winter.

My pool has been drained to just below the returns, the lines have been blown out, and anti-freeze added. (At least, it should have been, we paid for it)
The cover is on. i can certainly see that!

Last winter, after the same winterizing procedure, we had quite a bit of heavy rain and snow, and the cover lets water drip through... so the water level got incredibly high... like nearly to the cover level. i didn't really know what to do, so i ignored it.

Should this happen again this winter, i would like to be more proactive.
i've used Trouble Free Pool successfully this summer, and i'd like to continue being awesome.

So my question is:
If the water level gets too high after closing/winterizing how do you drain it? And... should i drain it?

To drain the pool, i'd have to open the valve so the pool water flows into the intakes on the floor of the pool, through the pipe into the filter, then out of the drain on the back of the filter.
But those pipes have been blown out, right? Draining the pool, i'd be sending water through them and flushing out any anti-freeze.
In the middle of winter.
Defeating the purpose of blowing them out.

Am i over thinking this?
i appreciate any advice. You people are always so helpful!

I now leave a sump pump on the top step. It's the kind with a float type switch. So if the water level goes a couple of inches above the step the pump lowers it. This keeps the water away from the waterline tiles.

That being said my pool was closed for 8+ years with no water level management, water right up to the coping, and everything survived all the winters of freezing. I guess I was lucky and I don't want to push my luck anymore

A regular garden hose will work, slide it into the water so the hose is full of water, plug one end with hand and bring it to a spot that is lower then the water. The siphon will slowly drain water off, if you have a certain level you want the water at, place the hose end at that level and once the water level gets to that height the siphon breaks.

The siphon with garden hose as mention above works great. I have 2 on/ off valves I use on each end of the hose.

They permit me to fill the hose with water from the outdoor faucet, put one end in pool, other end down hill and open valves. Open one in pool first.

I use a cheap pump and a garden hose. Just turn it on for awhile after a lot of rain. Works fine. You definitely don't want to use your pool plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.